The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Parents berate JAMB over policy somersault as registration begins

Related

Parents and guardians of candidates seeking admission to higher institutions of learning have tongue-lashed the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) for what they described as a poor policy framework.

As at the weekend, JAMB was still singing its ‘no National Identification Number (NIN) no registration’ tune to the 2020 Unified Tertiary and Matriculation Examination (UTME) candidates.

Despite candidates’ tales of woe in the process of trying to obtain the NIN and calls from the House of Representatives, among other stakeholders, on the board to extend the deadline to 2021, the leadership of JAMB remained adamant, saying that “there is no going back on the use of NIN for 2020 UTME registration.”

But it finally surrendered on Saturday and announced that the deadline had been extended to 2021.

With this, some parents were not impressed that the board had already subjected the candidates to a lot of physical and emotional stress.

A parent, who identified himself as Dr. Kingsley Mbanefo, blamed the scenario on poor leadership, wondering why Nigerian youths were always subjected to emotional trauma in their quest for knowledge.

“The period these children were supposed to use for preparation was wasted at the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) offices. There were ugly stories about what these children passed through, including those that slept at NIMC centres,” he said.

Mrs. Sarah Adekunle lamented that candidates were exposed to unnecessary pressure and risks, all in an effort to get registered.

Meanwhile, registration of the 2020 UTME kicks off today.

The Head, Media, and Information of the board, Dr. Fabian Benjamin said over 650 Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres had been accredited for this year’s examination.
 
His words, “Sales of registration documents will start from January 13 to February 17, 2020. The board has also fixed this year’s examination for March 14 to April 4, while an optional mock examination for candidates is scheduled for February 18.”

However, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) administration reportedly approved over 1,648 private schools last year, even as it reaffirmed its commitment to close down all illegal schools in the territory.

The FCT Minister of State, Dr. Ramatu Aliyu, said, “As in September 2019, we approved not less than 1,648 private junior and senior secondary schools to strengthen existing schools in the territory. It has also opened more education spaces for our youths’.”

Aliyu stated this at the weekend during the inauguration of PET International Academy Lugbe, Abuja.

He revealed that the Quality Assurance Department of Education Secretariat had been directed to scale up its monitoring and inspection of schools to ensure standards.

Represented by the Director of FCT Universal Basic Education Board (UBEB), Dr. Adamu Noma, the minister explained that the provision of quality education should not be the responsibility of government alone, adding that that private sector engagement was key to quality education.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet