PDP ignores Secondus’ threat, insists on convention
Convention Key To Survival Of PDP, Says Fintiri
Screening Appeal Committee To Sit On Tuesday
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has ignored suggestions by its suspended national chairman, Uche Secondus, to halt preparations for the convention slated for October 30th and 31st, 2021.
The party said the convention is key to its survival, pointing out that all its organs, caucuses, committees and sub-committees have put in their best in terms of energy, resources and time to make the convention a reality.
Secondus had, in a letter addressed to the acting national chairman of the PDP, Yemi Akinwonmi, cautioned that the party’s preparations for the convention would be an effort in futility because of the pendency of his case against the party at the Court of Appeal.
In the letter, which was written on his behalf by his lawyer, Tayo Oyetibo, Secondus pointed out that, “having been served with an application seeking to restrain the holding of its National Convention pending the determination of the appeal filed by Prince Uche Secondus, the PDP would be embarking upon a collision course with the court if it proceeds to hold the National Convention before the hearing and determination of the Application.
“Should such contumacious conduct of holding the National Convention before the hearing and determination of the Application be embarked upon by the party, however, we shall not hesitate to bring the full weight of the law against all national officers of the party that are responsible for such conduct of contempt of court,” he stressed.
But after the letter was received by the PDP, the chairman of its National Convention Planning Committee, who is also the governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Umaru Fintiri, declared that there is no going back on the plans and preparations for the convention.
Unveiling the official Logo and emblem for the party’s 2021 National Convention in Abuja, Fintiri said the convention holds the key to the survival of the party.
“I assure you, that despite the tight schedules and challenges associated with this convention, we have not asked for any extension of time. This did not come without too much pain. We have sacrificed a lot of time. We have sacrificed a lot of energy to put things to work.
We expect that all our members across the country should also make a lot of sacrifice and put time into this convention, because it is very key to the survival of our party.”
The Guardian’s checks have also revealed that all sub committees for the convention have continued to carry out their activities despite Secondus’ letter.
The screening committee, led by former Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Bello Adoke, concluded its assignment last week. Three aspirants disqualified in that exercise were to face a screening appeal committee presided over by former deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu.
It was gathered that the committee would sit on Tuesday having given the disqualified aspirants 48 hours to file their appeals as stipulated in the guidelines of the convention planning committee.
A source close to the Secretariat of the party explained that although the 48 hours given to the disqualified aspirants ended on Saturday, they were expected to file their appeal on Sunday and early hours of Monday after which Committee members would study the appeals ahead of the sitting of the appeal committee on Tuesday.
Other sub committees that have continued their preparations towards the convention include the Venue and Accommodation sub-committee, led by the Bauchi State governor, Bala Mohammed.
The sub committee on publicity, led by Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State is equally seriously holding consultations and meetings ahead of the October 30 date.