Saturday, 4th December 2021
Breaking News:

Police recover remains of abducted military personnel, arrest kidnappers in Rivers

By Guardian Nigeria
10 November 2021   |   3:04 am
The Rivers State Police Command has recovered the remains of retired military personnel, Capt. Godfrey Zwallmark, six weeks after his abduction.

[FILES] Police

Man beats wife to death, reports self to police 

The Rivers State Police Command has recovered the remains of retired military personnel, Capt. Godfrey Zwallmark, six weeks after his abduction.

The 64-year-old retired officer, who hails from Plateau State was abducted by a three-man gang on September 18 at Agwancha pipeline and was taken to their hideout along Igbo-Etche road, Obi/Akpor Local Council of Rivers State.
The Guardian gathered that he died the same day of abduction following heavy bleeding from bullet wounds.
It was learnt that the retired army officer had resisted following the kidnappers, prompting them to shoot him severally on the leg, which led to his death.
The Guardian gathered that his kidnappers went on to demand N200 million ransom from his family, but could not get it because the family demanded to hear the voice of Zwallmark.
Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Eboka Friday, while briefing Journalists, at the scene where his remains were dumped at the criminals’ hideout, said the matter was not reported immediately to the Police.
He, however, said the Police swung into action as soon as it got a hint of the matter and through due intelligence, arrested three suspects, allegedly involved in the kidnap, namely, Frank Ishie, Iwuji Reginald, Gomba Okparaji.
Eboka confirmed that the suspects demanded N200 million from the family of the retired officer after he had died.
He said: “They kidnapped the man, but as he refused to follow them, they shot him on his leg and started making demands of N200 million from his family. Later, when the family reported the case to the Police, we went into investigation and were able to arrest three of them. The man died the same day because he bled to death.”
The CP, who said an autopsy would be carried out on the deceased, advised youths to abstain from crime, as it doesn’t pay any good. 
One of the suspects,  Frank Ishie, who spoke to Journalists, confessed to the crime.
The suspect revealed that the victim bled to death and they threw him into the bush at the new layout off Igbo-Etche road in Obio/Akpor Local Council.
The suspects also confessed that he had carried out four successful kidnaps and the victims were kept at their hideout off Igbo-Etche road, Obi/Akpor before he collected ransom and released them.
Ishie, who hails from Kwale in Delta State, said: “Somebody brought the information to us that the man is a big man in petrochemicals, that if we can get him we get the sum of N200 million which we want”. 
“So when we abducted the man, he proved stubborn, we shot him on the leg to enable him to follow us, but he died the same day because the bleeding was too much.”
“We picked him from the Agwancha pipeline. I do bunker business. This is my fourth kidnap assignment. The first was at Rumuokoro and we took the person to Igbo-Etche road, the second happened at artillery and we took the person to Igbo-Etche road. The third one is at Igbo-Etche road by Eleme junction.
“The first person paid us N550,000. The second paid N500,000 and the third paid N350,000, this was the fourth.
“We are four in number. We have two Awka-made guns. The guns are with one of our members, his name is Julius alias Blacky, but we cannot locate him.”

IN a related matter, a man identified as Chris Onyebuchi-Amadi has reportedly beaten his wife, Solution Onyebuchi-Amadi, to death over a ‘family quarrel’ at Aluu Community in Ikwerre Local Council of the state. 

The Guardian learnt that Onyebuchi-Amadi, had in the early hours of Tuesday, engaged in a quarrel with his wife,  who is the mother of four children, in their apartment at Mbodo Village,  Aluu, that led to the beating, which resulted in her death.
A relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, disclosed that Onyebuchi-Amadi, after noticing that his wife was unconscious, abandoned her inside the apartment and ran to Police Area Command, Choba to report himself.
The source said suspecting neighbours, who noticed foul play, broke into their apartment and tried to revive the deceased, but could not succeed as the woman had passed on before the intervention.

The Rivers State Police Command (PPRO), Nnamdi Omoni is yet to make an official statement on the issue.