Monday, 17th January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Seven cars burnt in Onitsha diesel tanker inferno

By Uzoma Nzeagwu, Awka
14 December 2021   |   2:58 am
There was confusion as residents watched helplessly when fire gutted two fuel stations, namely Chris Tee and Silver Filliy stations near Boromio roundabout, in Onitsha, Anambra State on Sunday.

[FILE PHOTO] Onitsha

Obiano orders sealing of petrol stations with gas skits 

There was confusion as residents watched helplessly when fire gutted two fuel stations, namely Chris Tee and Silver Filliy stations near Boromio roundabout, in Onitsha, Anambra State on Sunday.

An eyewitness said the fire started around 6:00 p.m. in the evening, lamenting that two filling stations and many vehicles were burnt.

The witness said the arrival of firefighters to the scene saved more property from being burnt.

Director, State Fire Service, Engr. Martin Agbili said his men spent over six hours fighting the inferno.

Agbili said four fire trucks were deployed on receipt of the distress call, lamenting that the fire was difficult to contain due to the products’ combustible nature.

He however refuted the rumour that the fire was put out by Delta State Fire Service, arguing that the main cause of the inferno was yet to be ascertained until proper investigations were carried out.

Narrating the incident, Agbili said two diesel-laden tankers and about seven cars were burnt.

He said: “At about 1930hours (7.30 pm) of yesterday being Sunday, December 12, 2021, we received a distress call of fire outbreak at one of the fueling stations at Onitsha.

“Immediately, our Firefighters and fire trucks were deployed to the fire incident scene.

“On getting there, we found out two stations were involved.”

MEANWHILE, the state governor, Dr. Willie Obiano has ordered the sealing and taking possession of the two fuel stations, Chris Tee and Silver Fuel stations.

Obiano also directed law enforcement agencies to close down any fuel station in the state where gas skits were cited.  

He gave the directive when he visited the scene and warned dealers to desist from building gas skits within their premises.

He however expressed joy at the quick response of the state fire service and security agencies, adding, that he got intel that the fire was ignited when the dealers were in the process of offloading and discharging cooking gas.