The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Survey shows 76% of Nigerians feel insecure


internally-displaced-people-in-the-north-east-nigeria-CopyA survey conducted by NOIPolls Limited has revealed that 76 per cent of Nigerians believed that they are insecure due to the dwindling security challenges in the country, while 24 per cent had a negative perception of security in the country as a whole describing it as ‘not very secure’ and ‘not at all secure’, adding that they perceived their local communities to be secure.

The security poll was conducted in April 2014 to ascertain what respondents feel about the rate of security in the country and in their local communities.

The survey revealed that the Northeast accounted for the highest proportion of residents who described security in the country as ‘very secure’ 13 per cent and 28 per cent ‘somewhat secure’. It also recorded the lowest proportion of Nigerians who described the country as ‘not very secure’ (24 per cent) and ‘not at all secure’ (35 per cent).

According to the survey, majority of Nigerians had a positive perception about security within their local communities rating it as secure; 66 percent, while on the other hand, 34 per cent had a negative perception about security in their communities describing it as not secure. The Northeast and North-Central had the highest proportion of residents (29 percent each) who described it as ‘not very secure’.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

  • Israel Oyebode

    I disagree with the result of your survey. All Nigerians – the rich and the poor feel insecured. Even the foreigners feel insecured. They do not know when Nigeria will erupt & how the eruption will affect them. As for Nigerians, everyone has this feeling of insecurity. If Chief Falae could be abducted from his farm and the poor are robbed & killed every day in the North East by Boko Haram then who is safe? Nobody is safe. I dont know where you got your result from. Please give us a more realistic result.

  • amador kester

    Security encapsulates a psychological and spiritual state of the mind in diverse ramifications and not just the abundance of police,infantry,artlillery…Corruption ecosystem is the greatest insecurity albatross.Neither the rich nor poor is immune to a festering insecurity malware