The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Syria rebels lose all of northeast Aleppo

Related

A vehicle of Syrian pro-government forces drives past damaged buildings on November 27, 2016 in the Masaken Hanano district in eastern Aleppo, a day after they resized it from rebel fighters. Syria regime forces seized two new rebel-held districts in Aleppo a day after they retook the largest opposition-controlled neighbourhood in the second city, a monitor said. The capture of Masaken Hanano -- which had been the biggest rebel-held district of Aleppo -- was a major breakthrough in a 13-day regime offensive to retake the entire city. / AFP PHOTO / GEORGE OURFALIAN

A vehicle of Syrian pro-government forces drives past damaged buildings on November 27, 2016 in the Masaken Hanano district in eastern Aleppo, a day after they resized it from rebel fighters. Syria regime forces seized two new rebel-held districts in Aleppo a day after they retook the largest opposition-controlled neighbourhood in the second city, a monitor said. The capture of Masaken Hanano — which had been the biggest rebel-held district of Aleppo — was a major breakthrough in a 13-day regime offensive to retake the entire city. / AFP PHOTO / GEORGE OURFALIAN

Syrian rebels have lost all of the northern neighbourhoods of their stronghold in eastern Aleppo, a monitor said Monday, as the army pushed an offensive to retake the battered city.

The army captured the Sakhur, Haydariya and Sheikh Khodr neighbourhoods on Monday, while Kurdish forces took the Sheikh Fares district from rebels, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Kurdish forces in Aleppo are not officially allied with the regime, but the opposition regards them as cooperating with the government in a bid to recapture the city.

“The rebels have lost control of all the neighbourhoods in the north of east Aleppo, and this is their worst defeat since they seized half the city in 2012,” said Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman.

Syrian state media reported the capture of Haydariya and Sakhur as it looped footage showing some of the thousands of civilians who have fled east Aleppo in recent days as loyalist troops have advanced.

The army renewed an operation to retake eastern Aleppo nearly two weeks ago, hoping to deal the opposition a potentially devastating blow.

Syria’s Al-Watan daily, which is close to the government, said the army was advancing quickly.

It said the next stage of the operation would be “to divide the remaining area into security districts that will be easily controlled and to capture them successively.”

The advance would then “push the gunmen to turn themselves (in)… or accept national reconciliation under the terms of the Syrian state.”


In this article:
AleppoSyria
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet