Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Task force nabs suspect for allegedly assaulting safety corps personnel


The injured officials

Operatives of the Lagos State Environmental Sanitation and Special Offences Unit yesterday arrested and arraigned one Chigozie Okoro for allegedly assaulting a personnel of the Lagos Neighbourhood Safety Corps (LNSC).

Okoro had stabbed the personnel, one Mr. Aderemo Ramoni with a scissors while trying to evade arrest and also stabbed his sibling, Mr. Adeyemi Ridwan, when he was called in as a back up. The incident, which happened at Fiditi Street, Ilasamaja, saw the suspect stab the duo at different spots on their heads after he was caught jumping a fence into a neighbour’s compound.

According to the task force chairman, SP Olayinka Egbeyemi, the suspect was arraigned in court based on the instruction of the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Imohimi Edgal. He said after they were stabbed, the officer who could not handle the suspect alone even after he had called his sibling for back up, managed to take him to the nearest police station.


Noting that the synergy between the police and other security agencies in the state is achieving results, Egbeyemi enjoined members of the public to always give useful information on any noticeable criminal activities around their area.

The 29-year-old suspect, in his confessional statement, confirmed to have stabbed the officer and his sibling with scissors when he was caught. He however pleaded for leniency and promised never to indulge in any criminal acts again if pardoned by the state.

He was yesterday arraigned at the Lagos State Mobile Court sitting at Oshodi and he pleaded not guilty to a three-count charge of assault, breach of peace and obstructing of government official leveled against him.

Magistrate Tosin Ojuromi, who presided over the case, however granted the suspect bail conditions in sum of N100,000 with two responsible sureties who must be gainfully employed with evidence of tax payment to the Lagos State government. The case was adjourned to October 23, 2017 for further hearing.

Meanwhile, Dr. Fatai Musa of God Hope Medical Centre at No. 10, Bankole Street, Ilasamaja, who treated the victims, later referred them to Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for further examination on their heads due to complications over the gravity of injury sustained.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet