Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Teenager commits suicide over UTME score in Delta


Candidates at a Unified Tertiary MatriculationExaminations (UTME) centre in Lagos.

A university admission-seeker simply identified as Loveth has reportedly committed suicide in Ekiugbo, Ughelli North local government area of Delta State.

Loveth, who was said to be displeased with the 163 mark she garnered in the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), was found dead at her home on Wednesday morning.

It was gathered that the deceased, who picked medicine as her choice of study, took three bottles of Sniper as these were found by her side yesterday morning.


According to sources, Loveth had gone to check her UTME result on Tuesday and discovered to her shock that she had scored far lower than she had expected and would not secure admission to the university to study her ‘dream course.’ The 18-year-old reportedly left the centre distraught and wept profusely.

Meanwhile, the Ogun State police command said it has arrested the suspect who gruesomely murdered two pupils of St. John Anglican Primary School, Agodo, Ogun waterside area of Ogun State on Monday.

According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Abimbola Oyeyemi, the suspect was arrested in the early hours of yesterday through the combined efforts of policemen attached to Ogbere area command led by ACP Makinde Kayode and local hunters.

The tragic incident happened on Monday, when a suspected madman, Lekan Adebisi, went on rampage during the school’s lunch break and hacked the two pupils – Obituyi Alabi and Kalesanwo Ibrahim – to death with a cutlass.

He reportedly fled the scene before the arrival of policemen and was since then declared wanted before he was eventually nabbed yesterday.

According to the statement: “The suspect who was identified as Lekan Adebisi broke into the compound of St. John Anglican School Agodo with cutlass and hacked two pupils of the school to death after which he ran away. The Commissioner of Police, Ahmed Iliyasu, who was so furious about the incident gave a matching order to the Area Commander of Ogbere and DPO Abigi Division to fish out the murderer within the shortest possible time.

“In compliance with the CP’s order, the area commander mobilised policemen and local hunters for the manhunt of the suspect. Their efforts paid off in the early hours of today (Wednesday) when the suspect was seen in a bush around the community,” he said.

Oyeyemi said while they wanted to arrest him, the suspect who was brandishing a sharp cutlass attacked them consequence upon which he was shot and injured on the leg and has been taken to hospital for medical treatment.

He added that the police boss, Iliyasu has directed that the case be transferred to Homicide Section of State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department (SCIID) for proper investigation.

In this article:
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet