Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp
x

Third Mainland Bridge: FG, Lagos allay commuters’ fears as repair commences

Related

The Federal and Lagos State governments yesterday allayed commuters’ apprehension over the partial closure of the Third Mainland Bridge for repairs.

The bridge considered the busiest in the country with total traffic of 132, 702 vehicles per day, was officially closed to motorists at 12 midnight yesterday.

The rehabilitation work, which started from the outward Lagos Island section, will last till October 23, this year, while the repair of other sections would commence thereafter till January 2021.

Director, Federal Highways at Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, Adedamola Kuti, who led other critical stakeholders to a joint inspection of the bridge, said the clarification became necessary following motorists’ apprehension over its partial closure.

He stressed that the rehabilitation became necessary following the result of a three-day investigative maintenance check carried out on the bridge in August 2018.

x

He stated that the inspection followed series of intensive meeting with stakeholders to ensure a hitch-free commencement of the rehabilitation, which is being carried out by Messrs Borini Porini.

Kuti also explained that the bridge would still be opened to Lagos-Island bound motorists during the peak hours from midnight till 12 noon, while the Lagos Island section would be diverted at Ilubirin from 6.00 pm to 12 midnight for motorists leaving the Island.

He said that motorists going into the Island after the peak hours are to use the alternative routes already rehabilitated to ensure ease of movement.

“We are changing the bearings, the expansion joints and then re-surfacing the bridge. We will make sure we work day and night so that the six months completion date will not be exceeded,” he said.

Also speaking, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs Aramide Adeyoye, said it was important that the state government undertake the repairs on alternative routes so as to alleviate the inconveniences the partial closure would necessitate. While appealing to commuters to obey traffic rules during the period of the partial closure, she added that the state government would ensure that all the alternative routes remain in good conditions.

Also speaking, the Commissioner for Transportation Dr. Frederic Oladeinde, gave the assurance that adequate arrangements had been made for effective traffic control throughout the six months partial closure of the bridge, disclosing that about 600 LASTMA personnel would be deployed to direct traffic.

x

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet