The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Tunisia bombings death toll rises to two

Related

EDITORS NOTE: Graphic content / Onlookers gather at the scene outside a metro station where a man reportedly wearing an explosive belt blew himself up in the early hours of July 3, 2019 in the capital Tunis, after being chased by police. – The Tunisian interior ministry said a jihadist, on the run for two days, was killed on July 3 in the western Tunis neighbourhood of Cité Intilaka while security forces were chasing him to detain him. The official sources said the suspect blew himself up during the police operation. (Photo by – / AFP)

The death toll from twin suicide bombings that rocked the Tunisian capital last week has risen to two after a civilian died of his injuries, the interior ministry said Thursday.

A policeman was killed on the spot when one of the bombers blew himself up as a police vehicle passed on the capital’s main throughfare.

Among the seven other people wounded in that attack and a second on a police station in the outskirts of Tunis, six have been discharged from hospital while a police officer has been kept in for observation, ministry spokesman Sofiene Zaag told AFP.

The June 27 bombings brought back memories of deadly 2015 attacks on foreign holidaymakers and security personnel that dealt a heavy blow to the country’s vital tourism industry.

The suspected mastermind was killed when he blew himself up during a police manhunt outside the capital, the ministry said on Wednesday.


In this article:
Tunisia
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet