Two die as Oyo records six new COVID-19 cases, discharges 17
• Akeredolu lifts ban on religious gatherings, gives stiff regulation
• NLC, Falana, others warn against sacking of workers amid pandemic
Oyo State has recorded two more fatalities from coronavirus, bringing the total deaths in the state to six. The state governor, Seyi Makinde, who disclosed this yesterday while giving an update, said that the two deaths were from the six positive cases reported on Tuesday.
However, 17 confirmed COVID-19 patients had been discharged. Makinde said: “Seventeen confirmed COVID-19 patients have received their second negative test results and have been discharged. This brings the number of discharged cases in Oyo State to 75.
“Also, the COVID-19 confirmation tests for six suspected cases came back positive. One case is from iSON Xperiences and one each from Ibadan South-West, Ibadan South-East, Surulere, Ido and Egbeda local councils. Sadly, two of the six positive cases confirmed today had already passed away. So, the total number of confirmed cases in Oyo State is 250 and the total number of deaths is six.
In a related vein, Ondo State Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has expressed dismay over the flippant and non-committal attitude of the people in the fight against the deadly coronavirus pandemic in the state, announcing four more cases.
Akeredolu, who spoke yesterday in Akure during the weekly briefing on the pandemic, however, asked religious leaders to open centres of worship as last resort for the people. He said: “We cannot fight COVID-19 on our own terms and conditions. We cannot win this war in a manner considered favourable to individuals. We cannot live our lives pleasurably as before and hope that COVID-19 will go away on its own accord.
“It is the common leveller for all of us before God, the creator of heaven and earth. In the light of this and taking into consideration the advantages of so doing, I hereby direct the resumption of guided and syndicated religious activities throughout the state.
“Cases of infringement, disregard or wilful neglect of these extant regulations will be considered as serious threat to the society and will be sanctioned. Let me be more direct. Any church, mosque or worship centre that fails to obey the simple rule will be shut down immediately.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and some human rights activists have warned against sacking of workers in the country as a result of ravaging coronavirus.
The human right activists, who include Femi Falana, Dr. Femi Aborisade, Oyo State Chairman of NLC, Adebayo Titilola-Sodo; Dr. Adenike Ogunshe and others, under the aegis of Alliance for Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond (ASCAB) gave the warning yesterday during a Webinar titled: ‘COVID-19 and Challenges of Safeguarding Workers and the Poor’ organised by the Oyo State Chapter of ASCAB in Ibadan.
No comments yet