UNIZIK student dies, others injured in Anambra gas explosion
A female student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK), died yesterday and others were injured in a gas explosion at the student’s Lodge in Ifite Awka, Anambra State.
The deceased, identified as Miss Precious, was said to be trapped inside a collapsed wall as a result of the explosion of a gas cylinder, which razed the apartment.
An eyewitness said the lodge occupied by UNIZIK students was seriously damaged by the fire.
The witness said: “Some other occupants of the lodge also sustained injuries as a result of the inferno.
“One of the occupants of the lodge was frying pop corn in the room when the explosion happened.
“Most of the rooms in the lodge were affected and many properties were destroyed. We actually tried to put out the fire but we couldn’t until the fire service people arrived.”
The witness stressed that efforts by neighbours and residents to rescue the deceased who was trapped inside the collapsed wall proved abortive until she eventually died.
The owner of the lodge could not be contacted as he was said to be away from town.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox every day of the week. Stay informed with the Guardian’s leading coverage of Nigerian and world news, business, technology and sports.