The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures built on designated water channels in Abuja, warning that no amount of political pressure would stop the exercise.
Wike, who spoke yesterday after inspecting the areas affected by Saturday’s flooding in the nation’s capital, said the administration would no longer tolerate developments that obstruct water channels, irrespective of the status of the owners.
He disclosed that some of the properties identified as obstructing water channels belonged to senators and influential Nigerians, insisting that such structures would be removed in the interest of public safety.
Consequently, the minister directed the FCT Development Control Department to commence action immediately, giving officers up to this Saturday to demolish structures found to have blocked designated waterways and warned officials against delaying the exercise under any guise.
Meanwhile, the minister attributed the flooding to a combination of natural and human factors, including climate change, torrential rainfall, construction on waterways, development in areas not designated for building and inadequate desilting of drainage systems.
He also blamed indiscriminate dumping of refuse into drains for aggravating the problem, stressing that residents had a responsibility to keep drainage channels free of waste.
According to him, while flooding is a natural phenomenon that has affected cities across the world, including developed countries, the government must address the human factors within its control.
He said the recent flooding had exposed several locations where buildings had been erected on channels reserved in the Abuja Master Plan for water passage, insisting that his administration would not allow political considerations to override public safety and planning regulations.
The minister also directed the immediate desilting of identified drainage systems, while urging residents, traders and other users of public spaces to desist from dumping refuse in drainage channels.
Wike further warned against the conversion of designated green areas and other spaces in the FCT for unauthorised developments, maintaining that parks and recreational facilities are distinct from protected green areas, and that the administration would continue to enforce the Abuja Master Plan.
However, he dismissed attempts to politicise the flooding, saying the development should instead serve as an opportunity for the authorities to identify and address the underlying causes.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover