Friday, 27th January 2023
Breaking News:

Kano government, firm plan economic city as developer targets one million homes

By Guardian Nigeria
19 October 2020   |   3:11 am
The Kano state government and a real estate developer, Brains and Hammers, have concluded arrangements aimed at building an economic city that would cover all spectrum of business life of the people.

The Kano state government and a real estate developer, Brains and Hammers, have concluded arrangements aimed at building an economic city that would cover all spectrum of business life of the people.

The project, which is financed by Jaiz Bank, will be in phases made up of 1,000, 3,000 lock up shops for pharmaceutical and information technology activities respectively, in the tech hub of the commercial city.

Speaking while hosting the management of Brains and Hammers, Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, explained that the economic project was a testament to his administration’s resolve to harness the potential of the state.

Ganduje also added, the project would be a one-of- a kind economic city project currently developed in the ancient city of Kano, saying,

“We want to make the state an African regional business hub and supported by development expertise.” 

Similarly, he expressed delight with the work done so far on the economic city by the developers, urging them to ensure timely delivery of the almost completed phase one, made up of one thousand pharmaceutical shops.

“When completed, the smart city project would cover all spectrum of our economic life. From pharmaceutical distribution units to information technology hub,trailer park for trucks and luxury buses,low cost hotels for transit commuters and visitors.”

The governor stated, “we are proud to have Jaiz Bank as our financial partner on the project,” adding that it would be a one-stop-shop for economic activities in northern Nigeria and the whole of the African continent.

In a remark, the Executive Director of Brains and Hammers, Mallam Ibrahim Bako who briefed the state executive council on the status of the project, said the execution of it would be first-of-its-kind in Africa.

While commending Governor Ganduje for supporting the construction of the shops, he maintained, this was a major motivating factor driving the team towards the finish line on the project.

Explaining further, Mallam Bako said, “We are working tirelessly to complete phase one in the next two months. We are determined to make these facilities ready for commissioning by the end of the year.

”Our partnership with Jaiz Bank would enable potential ship owners who can’t afford the capital investment needed for outright purchase of a shop to secure one with initial 10 per cent,the bank would pay the remaining 90 per cent in installment.”

IN a related development, a prime estate developers, Bstan Homes said they are embarking on the building of one million houses to be delivered to citizens by 2025.

Besides, the group also added that Nigeria needs to vigorously work towards the delivering of at least 700,000 housing units yearly to meet up with the current deficit.

The Group Managing Director, Mrs. Becky Olubukola who spoke with journalists in Abuja, said the problem of housing in Nigeria is critical, and the Federal Government cannot handle them alone, saying, “we need public and private partnership to be able to provide more people with affordable housing.”

Olubukola said, to achieve this, there should be a synergy between federal and state governments, whereby each state could construct 500, 000 units yearly across the country.

On the planned 300,000 houses of Federal Government, she said much can’t be achieved as the demand is more than supply.