The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Barcelona end January striker chase – club director

Related

Barcelona’s soccer director of youth development Guillermo Amor speaks during an interview at Joan Gamper training camp in Barcelona, January 10, 2013. Fielding an entire team of youth players is something no other top club can come close to matching, certainly none that has enjoyed the kind of success Barca have in recent years, with four La Liga titles and two European crowns among a host of trophies garnered in the past five seasons. Amor, a former Barca midfielder, has been part of the youth system, either as a recruit or manager, for around two-thirds of his life. To match Interview SOCCER-ACADEMIES/SPAIN-BARCELONA Picture taken January 10, 2013. REUTERS/Albert Gea (SPAIN – Tags: SPORT SOCCER)

Barcelona will not sign a new striker before the end of the January transfer window, club director Guillermo Amor said on Thursday.

Barca had been looking to bolster their attacking options after Luis Suarez underwent surgery on his right knee, which is expected to rule him out for the rest of the season.

“The transfer window ends tomorrow (Friday) at midnight and it was decided not to make any signings in this winter transfer window because if it doesn’t improve what we already have, it’s better not to do it,” Amor told Barca TV before the team’s 5-0 win over Leganes in the Copa del Rey.

Negotiations with Valencia over Rodrigo Moreno broke down earlier this week while Arsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Lautaro Martinez of Inter Milan have also been linked.

New coach Quique Setien said on Wednesday it would be “interesting” if the club brought in another forward but insisted he was happy to work with the players he has.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet