Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

City back on top of Premier League as United win


Manchester United’s Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku (R) celebrates after scoring their third goal during the English Premier League football match between Manchester United and Southampton at Old Trafford in Manchester, north west England, on March 2, 2019. – Manchester United won the game 3-2. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP) /

Manchester City moved back to the top of the Premier League but lost Kevin de Bruyne to injury in a 1-0 victory over Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

De Bruyne has been plagued by injury this season and concerns would have been heightened when he pulled up shortly before half-time under no pressure.

His replacement Riyad Mahrez proved City’s saviour on the south coast as they moved two points clear of Liverpool ahead of today’s Merseyside derby at Goodison Park.


Mahrez collected the ball on the right side of the area in the 55th minute before slicing a low drive beyond Bournemouth goalkeepeer Artur Boruc, who arguably should have done better at his near post.

Earlier, Harry Kane had continued his love affair with scoring against Arsenal while Hugo Lloris saved a 90th-minute penalty as Tottenham forced a 1-1 draw in a pulsating north London derby at Wembley.

After Kane had rattled in a 74th-minute spot-kick to cancel out Aaron Ramsey’s first-half opener, Lloris then kept out Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s 12-yard effort out to ensure a first Premier League draw for Spurs in 33 games.

It was Kane’s ninth goal in nine Premier League games against the Gunners, but Lloris’ stop was even more important as it ensured Spurs avoided three successive defeats, which would have left Tottenham’s chances of sealing a place in the top four in serious jeopardy.

Both penalty decisions were soft, with Kane appearing offside, while Unai Emery’s side finished with 10 men after Lucas Torreira was sent off in stoppage time for a foul on Danny Rose.

Romelu Lukaku’s brace sealed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Manchester United a thrilling comeback win against struggling Southampton on an afternoon of exceptional goals.

While a lot has changed in the three months since Jose Mourinho’s Reds overcame a two-goal deficit to frustrate Mark Hughes’ men, these sides still managed to throw up another helter-skelter goalfest.

Yan Valery’s 25-yard piledriver stunned Old Trafford into silence midway through the first half but Andreas Pereira drew United level seven minutes into the second half with a fine curling effort.

Pereira then teed up Lukaku as United retook the lead on the hour and the Belgian would have the final say – after James Ward-Prowse equalised with a sublime free-kick – with a fantastic finish in the last minute.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet