Thursday, 2nd December 2021
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Italian FA probing suspect transfers: media reports

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has opened an investigation into a series of suspicious transfers, according to Italian media reports on Wednesday.

Reporters waitig for finance policemen to exit from the Italian Football Federation at Rome February 26, 2004. Italian magistrates ordered searches of all Serie A and B soccer clubs as part of an investigation into suspected accounting fraud in the country’s national sport, judicial souces said. Finance police also searched the offices of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and the body that runs the Italian league, soccer official said. REUTERS/Max Rossi MR/ACM

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has opened an investigation into a series of suspicious transfers, according to Italian media reports on Wednesday.

Dailies La Repubblica and Il Tempo report that Serie A’s supervisory commission COVISOC has sent to FIGC president Gabriele Gravina and the body’s lead prosecutor Giuseppe Chine a report on 62 transfers over 2019-2021.

The operations are suspected of being carried out with the aim of inflating the value of certain players for accounting purposes, or using player exchanges to help balance the books.

Italian media claim that the vast majority of transfers contained in COVISOC’s report involve Juventus.

However possibly the biggest transfer included in the report according to Gazzetta Dello Sport is Victor Osimhen’s move to Napoli last year.

Two of the four players who went to Lille from Napoli as part of the 70 million euro deal — and were collectively valued at 20 million euros — now play in Italy’s fourth-tier Serie D.

The FIGC are yet to respond to AFP’s requests for confirmation of the investigation.

In this article