Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Nigeria 1-1 DR Congo: Super Eagles held by Leopards


Photo: Twitter/@NGExpression

The Super Eagles were held to a draw by the Leopards of DR Congo at the Adokiyie Amiesimaka stadium, Port Harcout.

Troost-Ekong fired home from close range to put Super Eagles ahead before Cedric Ngulumbi equalized from the spot.

Simy Nwankwo and Junior Lokosa made their debut in the fixture as the duo started as part of the attack.


Nwakwo quickly announced himself when he beat his marker to unleash a powerful left footed strike that hit the cross bar in the third minute but Iheanacho couldn’t follow through on the rebound.

Minutes later, it took a smart stop from Francis Uzoho to deny former Arsenal striker Benik Afobe from putting DR Congo ahead.

The opener came in the 14th minute from Troost-Ekong. Onazi lofted a free-kick to Iheanacho, who made a run from deep but Iheanacho lost the ball when he tried to dribble the goalkeeper. Troost-Ekong was on hand to finish a loose ball from close range to put Nigeria ahead.

The Super Eagles struggled to string play together with the poor state of the pitch. Ogenyi Onazi played in front of the defence paired with Joel Obi but the duo failed to easily relinquished possession.

Five minutes before the end of the first half, DR Congo threatened an equalizer from Afobe’s swivel shot but it flashed wide of goal.

Gernot Rohr made three changes after the break bringing on Alex Iwobi, Mikel Agu and Ola Aina.

Nwankwo showed his was an aerial threat in the 57th minute when he was close to scoring a debut goal with a header from Aina’s long throw but goalkeeper Anthony Mossi made a save.

Nwankwo continued his good showing when he pressured the goalkeeper for the ball which resulted in a good chance for the Super Eagles. The pressure forced the goalkeeper to miscue his clearance which fell to Oghenekaro Etebo but his long range strike went narrowly wide of goal.

Aina dragged down Issama Mpeko just outside the box but the referee pointed to the spot and whistled for a penalty.

Substitute Cedric Ngulubi sent Uzoho the wrong way to put the score line level.

Ahmed Musa, who came on for NPFL star Lokosa added some pace to the attack but could not create any clear cut chance as the game ground to a stalemate.

Nigeria will play against England in their next fixture on June 2.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet