Nigeria’s Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph plans big for CBC title bout in Ghana
One of Nigeria’s reigning boxers, Oto ‘Joe Boy’ Joseph, says his aim is to grab the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) title in his first attempt in Accra, Ghana. The fight will hold on January 22, 2021.
Joe Boy was stripped of his African Boxing Union (ABU) lightweight title in controversial circumstances last year. The pugilist, 16-0 (7 KOs), was scheduled to defend his ABU title on October 12, 2019, against Rilwan ‘Real One’ Oladosu, but the fight tagged ‘Fight of the Decade,’ could not hold following a shoulder injury Joe Boy sustained while training with his sparring partner. He did not recover on time to fight on the rescheduled date of December 28.
Not ready to allow frustration ruin his boxing profession, Joe Boy decided to take his career to Ghana, alleging that some Nigerians just wanted to favour his opponent, Oladosu, at all cost.
The CBC title fight was earlier scheduled for December 12, 2020, but was shifted due to some unforeseen circumstances.
Joseph, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, is one of the most reverred boxers in Nigeria, having ruled the ABU lightweight category for many years.
He told The Guardian after training yesterday that his Ghanaian promoter had assured him that every arrangement needed for the fight to hold on January 22 had been put in place.
“I will depart for Accra on January 20, and the fight will hold on January 22,” he said. “I have been training hard ahead of this fight, and I am sure I will win the CBC title in my first attempt in Ghana.”
According to Joe Boy, the Ghanaian promoter secured the Commonwealth Boxing Council (CBC) fight before the outbreak of coronavirus pandemic, which has shut down sports and other business activities around the world.
No comments yet