Only technical committee can sack Salisu Yusuf, says NFF
To introduce new method of appointing coaches soon
As Nigerians continue to lament the failure of the National U-23 team in the race to Paris 2024 Olympic Games, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) says it will soon introduce a new method of appointing coaches for the various teams.
Some angry Nigerian football fans, on Tuesday, took to social media to slam the NFF after the Olympics Eagles, led by coach Salisu Yusuf, was beaten 2-0 by Guinea in Morocco.
Salisu had earlier failed to qualify for the African Nations Championship (CHAN) with the Super Eagles B after losing the ticket to Ghana.
Fans are blaming the defeat on NFF, which approved the recommendation of its Technical and Development Sub-Committee to appoint Yusuf, who was banned by FIFA for one year in 2018 after he was caught on camera accepting bribe from men, who posed as football agents, to select two players for his Morocco 2018 African Nations Championship squad.
Speaking with The Guardian at the launch of Naija Super 8 football tournament in Lagos, yesterday, NFF Secretary General, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, said: “I am as disappointed as any other Nigerian with the result of our match against Guinea on Tuesday. I always feel bad any time our national teams and clubs fail at any competition.”
Asked if the NFF will still keep coach Yusuf after failing with both the CHAN Eagles and the Olympics Eagles, the NFF scribe said: “That question is for the Technical Director and members of the Technical Committee to answer. My duty is to do my job and allow others to do their job.
“By virtue of my appointment, I am an administrator. But I want to assure you that the NFF will soon put in place a new method of appointing coaches for the various national teams. I am sure Nigerians will be happy by the time the new method comes into operation.”