Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Spurs’ goalkeeper charged with drink-driving


(FILES) In this file photo taken on July 14, 2018 France’s goalkeeper Hugo Lloris attends a training session at the Luzhniki Stadium training field in Moscow on July 14, 2018 on the eve of the Russia 2018 World Cup final football match between France and Croatia.<br />France’s World Cup winning captain Hugo Lloris has been charged with drink-driving after the Tottenham keeper was stopped by police in the early hours of August 24, 2018. Lloris was pulled over by police in a routine stop at 0120 GMT in Gloucester Place, central London. The 31-year-old was reported to have failed a roadside breathalyser test and has been released on bail to appear at Westminster magistrates’ court next month.<br />/ AFP PHOTO / GABRIEL BOUYS

Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has been charged with drink driving after failing a breathalyser test at 2.30am in central London. 

The World Cup-winning captain was held in jail for seven hours in the early hours of Friday morning after a night of celebration with fellow France team-mates Olivier Giroud and Laurent Koscielny.

The 31-year-old father of two was taken to Charing Cross police station where he was put in a cell after fingerprints and a DNA swab were taken. 


Lloris and his French team-mates had enjoyed an evening of celebration at Bagatelle, a French and Mediterranean restaurant in Mayfair.  

Giroud won the World Cup with Lloris this summer but Koscielny missed out due to injury.

The goalkeeper was pictured grinning in a group photo at the high end restaurant in Dover Street before he drove home under the influence.

Bagatelle opened in London this May and the house pizza costs an eye-watering £34 with the sea-food platter setting customers back £450. 

Lloris was pulled over 1.5 miles into his journey home from the establishment and the Metropolitan Police said: ‘A man has been charged following a routine patrol stop in Gloucester Place, W1.

‘Hugo Lloris, 31, of East Finchley, was charged with drink driving on Friday, 24 August.

‘He has been bailed to return to Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, 11 September.’ 

The Frenchman returned home on foot at 11:00am on Friday morning and refused to answer questions from reporters.

He did not train with his team-mates on Friday. 

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet