How to handle the delay of child-bearing in marriage
The issue of having children in marriage, especially in Nigerian societies, is something that’s very important. Delay in childbearing, if not properly handled, can cause untold hardship, especially for the woman. Many women have lost their matrimonial homes because they experienced delay in child-bearing and very often, the woman is the one held responsible.
The scriptures make it very clear that none should be barren, especially if the person is a child of God. Psalms 127:3 makes it clear that children are gifts from God, and He will not withhold any good thing from His children. Therefore, when children delay in coming, as far as God is concerned, it is for a reason. Hannah experienced delay in child-bearing because she was going to give birth to Prophet Samuel, one of the greatest prophets Israel ever had. Zachariah and his wife Elizabeth also did not have a child, until their old age, but they finally gave birth to John the Baptist, the forerunner of Christ. After waiting 25 years, Abraham gave birth to Isaac and today, his descendants the Israelites are a nation that has existed for over 3,000 years.
So what do you do when you’re experiencing delay in child-bearing?
• Take it to the Lord in prayers. Claim God’s promises in His word.
• If you have been married for over 2 years and your wife is not getting pregnant, seek medical advice from a gynaecologist. Many causes of delays are simply hormonal and can be easily rectified with medication.
• Do not be over anxious. Sometimes, anxiety and intense worrying can lead to temporary barrenness.
• Couples should take steps to increase their chances of conception by ensuring they have regular intercourse. Secondly, couples must know how to take advantage of the woman’s ovulation period, when the probability of conception is highest.
• Do not divorce, be separated from your spouse or end up marrying another wife. There was a man whose wife had no child and so he married another wife. As soon as the second wife came in, both wives conceived and gave birth almost at the same time. The women ended up at loggerheads with themselves. The man could have saved himself the trauma that ensued, if he had been a little patient trusting God.
• Couples should also seek divine intervention after ascertaining the root cause of the problem. This enables you to pray specifically and precisely.
• While waiting for God’s time, couples can adopt a child. I have heard testimonies of couples, who, after adopting a child and taking care of that child, began having their own. The principle of sowing and reaping seems to work here.
• Another option is IVF, which is very expensive. This works for younger couples that can afford the treatment.
Finally, the best option is to trust God and His word. Immerse yourself in serving God like Zechariah the father of John the Baptist, and God in His faithfulness will appear for you. I have discovered that those who “let go and let God” always end up laughing.
I prophesy that every barren situation or condition in your life will receive the life of Christ and be turned into fruitfulness in Jesus name.
Enquiries: Elshaddai Covenant Church, 7, Social Club Road, Off Charity Road, Abule-Egba. Tel: 08080929292 (Calls only); 08182281184 (WhatsApp messages only).
No comments yet