New testament giving – Part 4
Let us now look at giving under the Law. This is the dispensation of the Mosaic Law. God gave these laws to Moses to give to the children of Israel. God has just brought out a people from the bondage of Egypt. They had enjoyed the benefits of the covenant of Grace between God and Abraham. Since two cannot walk together except they be agreed (Amos 3:3), God wanted to confirm this covenant with the children of Israel. But they instead exchanged the covenant in Exodus 19 and opted for the covenant of works. Immediately, Divine protocols changed and God distanced Himself from them (Ex 19:9-13). In Exodus 20, God gave them the law since they had said that “all that the Lord has spoken, we will DO” (Ex 19:8)
These became the Covenant Law. It is also called the Mosaic Law. It is usually referred to in the singular because God sees it as one. That is why the Bible says if you break one of the laws, you break all (James 2:10). There were actually 1,460 laws and they are divided into
• Moral Laws (10 Commandments) – Ex 20:1-17
• Civil Laws (regulating relationships between one Jew and another – Ex 21:1 – Ex 24:18
• Ceremonial laws (laws of Worship and Ordinances) – Ex 25:1- Ex 40:38
The law of tithing is actually part of the paraphernalia of physical worship under the Aaronic and Levitical priesthood. But the priesthood changed, the laws governing it must also change (Heb 7:12). Tithing is to service the physical priesthood, while spiritual giving is to service the spiritual priesthood.
There are actually 3 types of tithes specified by the Mosaic Law:
• Yearly Levitical tithes – Lev 27:30-31 and Num 18:21-24
• Yearly tithes for National feasts – Deut 14:22-26, and
• 3 – yearly charity tithes – for Levites, strangers, poor, widows, and the fatherless. It is distributed locally and not taken to the place of worship – Deut 14:27-29 and 26:12.
The question now is this: how many of these tithes are you paying? Remember that if you have chosen to be under the law, you are bound to do the whole law (James 2:10). We should not selectively observe the law.
Let us please note the following:
• The Mosaic Law (including the law of tithes was given to Israel and not the church – Rom2: 14, 3:19-22; 1 Tim 1:7-9.
• The Law has its purpose – Rom 3:19-20; Gal 3:19 (TLB)
• The Law has a duration – Gal 3:19, 24-25; Rom 10:4.
• The Law is futile in accomplishing justification and righteousness with God – Gal 2:16, Col 2:14.
From time to time, natural Israel went away from the terms/conditions of this covenant. God would raise up Revivalist Kings, prophets and priests like Nehemiah, Malachi, Hezekiah to remind the people of God’s covenant with them.Next week, we will focus on giving under the third dispensation of God’s dealings with mankind. May the good Lord give us understanding in Jesus Name.
Join us for the MIDNIGHT CRY on DOVE TV (DSTV channel 349, GOTV channel 83 and StarTimes channel 464) every Thursday by 7pm and on Rock City 101.9 FM every Sunday by 9pm. For more information, please call 08037253604 or 07034495177.
Bro. Kunle Adigun, FRIENDS OF THE BRIDEGROOM INTERNATIONAL MINISTRIES (FOBIM)