Why you must give up sin
Key Verse: Proverbs 1:10: “My son, if sinners entice you, Do not consent.” (KJV)
Sin is enticing, attractive and luring, but can be resisted. There are so many reasons you must give up sin. Some of them include:
• You may not be able to find the opportunity to repent at all times: In Acts 5, Ananias and his wife, Sapphira, met their death on the spot for telling lies about the money they received for selling their property. Peter said to Ananias: “You have not lied just to human beings, but to God.” When Ananias heard this, he fell and died. About three hours later his wife came in, not knowing what had happened; she lied and was instantly struck to death.
Esau could not find repentance, even though he sought it with tears. Hebrews 12:17: “Afterward, as you know, when he wanted to inherit this blessing, he was rejected. Even though he sought the blessing with tears, he could not change what he had done.” Jezebel had an opportunity to repent of her wickedness, but missed it because she was unwilling to give up her sins. Revelation 2:21-22: “I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling. So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely …”
• One sin you commit, hardens you to commit another: Paul warned against hardening of our hearts as a result of deceitfulness of sin. Hebrews 3:13: “But exhort one another daily, while it is called today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.” I like the way Contemporary English Version puts it, “You must encourage one another each day. And you must keep on while there is still a time that can be called “today.” If you don’t, then sin may fool some of you and make you stubborn.” Sin is deceitful, enticing and can make one’s heart stubborn.
• Death can overtake you even before you have time to repent. Death is one step behind life and may meet you before you repent. In Acts 5 before Ananias and Sapphira could repent, they had already gone dead. Before Lot’s wife could repent, she had turned into a pillar of salt (Genesis 19:26). In Joshua Chapter 7, before Achan could repent, his entire family was stoned to death. Joshua 7:24-25, “Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold bar, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had, to the Valley of Achor. Joshua said, “Why have you brought this trouble on us? … All Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them.”
• Sin can drastically cut short your life span. Moses’ sin cut short his life; he did not live as long as he would have. He carried out God’s command to order the rock to bring out water, but in anger he disrespectfully hit the rock twice. God said to Moses, “Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land, which I have given them.” (Numbers 20:12).
• Sin can rob you of a fulfilled life: There was a bishopric throne for Judas, but sin robbed him of the glory (Acts 1:20). The only way to give up your sin is to be born of God. 1 John 5:18: 18 says: “We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin …”
The best New Year Resolution is to give up sin. Refuse to continue in sin and accept the gift of eternal life, which only Jesus gives, so that it shall be well with you.
Today’s Nugget: Giving up your sin is the best New Year Resolution.
Prayer: I totally surrender my life to Jesus.
Prayer lines: 09078154261. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Chidi Okoroafor, General Superintendent Assemblies of God Nigeria.
No comments yet