The Nasarawa State command has neutralised one suspected kidnapper and disrupted his gang, which had been coursing sleepless nights and unnecessary attack on motorists on the Lafia-Nassarawa-Eggon and Akwanga Highway.
SP Ramhan Nansel, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), stated this in a statement and obtained by our correspondent in Lafia, the Nasarawa state capital.
According to him, this is in compliance with the directives of Olatunji Rilwan-Disu, Inspector-General of Police (IGP), the command had recorded another operational success in its relentless efforts to rid the state of criminal elements and ensure the safety of lives and property.
He, however, stated that at about 3:30 a.m., on Monday, a patrol team while on routine patrol along the Akwanga Highway, discovered an attempted kidnapping incident near Rice Mill, Nasarawa Eggon.
The statement which reads in part said, “The team observed that the highway had been barricaded with stones by gunmen suspected to be kidnappers, with the intention of attacking unsuspecting motorists.
“Upon sighting the police patrol team, the hoodlums opened fire, prompting a swift and decisive response from the operatives.
“In the ensuing exchange of gunfire, the criminals were overpowered and one of the suspects was neutralised, while others fled into the surrounding bush with possible gunshot wounds.”
The police spokesperson further narrated that following the development, Shetima Mohammed, Commissioner of Police in the state, promptly mobilised a reinforcement team to the scene to ensure the area was secured and normalcy restored.
Nansel disclosed that the suspect was rushed to a medical facility, where he was confirmed dead by a medical doctor.
The PPRO also disclosed that the suspect was later identified as one Auta Habu of a Ruga (Fulani settlement) in Gidan Waya village of the LGA.
Nansel further said preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased had been involved in several criminal activities in the area.
He said the highway has since been cleared and now safe for motorists and other road users, saying that efforts were ongoing to track down and apprehend the fleeing members of the gang.
He called on the members of the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious movements to the nearest police station for necessary action.
The police spokesperson on behalf of the Commissioner of Police reiterated the Command’s unwavering commitment to protecting lives and property across the state.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover