Military intensifies anti-ISIS operations, kills 20 fighters in fresh airstrikes

Nigerian Army

U.S. lawmaker credits Trump for strike, warns terrorists targeting Christians
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ), in coordination with the United States Africa Command (AFRICOM), has intensified operations against ISIS militants in North-East Nigeria, with fresh airstrikes reportedly killing more than 20 fighters in the Metele area of Borno State.

In a statement issued yesterday, the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Samaila Uba said the multiple airstrikes followed the observed convergence and movement of terrorist elements in the area.

According to him, the operation resulted in the elimination of more than 20 ISIS/ISWAP fighters.

Uba said the latest operation followed the killing of ISIS commander, Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, on Saturday and formed part of sustained efforts to dismantle terrorist networks and deny insurgents a haven within Nigeria.

“The ongoing operations are part of sustained efforts to disrupt terrorist networks, remove them from the battlefield and deny the terrorists any haven within Nigeria,” he said.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will continue to aggressively defend the sovereignty, security and territorial integrity of the nation. Terrorists who threaten our citizens, communities and national stability will be located and defeated.

“There will be no haven for terrorists anywhere in Nigeria,” the statement added.

Meanwhile, a United States congressman, Riley Moore, has credited President Donald Trump with ordering the joint Nigerian-American operation that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, described as the second-in-command of ISIS globally.

Moore, a Republican lawmaker and member of the House Appropriations Committee, made the remarks during an interview on NewsNation with anchor Anna Kooiman on Sunday, where he discussed the strike and the wider issue of religious persecution in North-East Nigeria.

“President Trump is laser focused on defending our Christian brothers and sisters in Nigeria against the slaughter and martyrdom they’ve faced at the hands of radical Islamic terrorists,” Moore wrote on his X account yesterday alongside a clip of the interview.

“The strike on Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, ISIS number 2 globally, sends a clear message: those who target innocent Christians will be hunted down and brought to justice. Do not test President Trump’s resolve,” he added.

Moore said the administration’s engagement with Nigeria had intensified following Trump’s designation of the country as a nation of particular concern on October 31 last year.

He further stated that Trump had personally directed him to investigate the situation.

Join Our Channels