Fear and fury gripped Oyo State as bandits who stormed three schools in Oriire Local Government Area abducted over 30 pupils and teachers, while a disturbing video of a slain educator in captivity sparked nationwide condemnation.
The attack, which occurred on May 16, saw armed assailants invade the Ahoro-Esiele/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso and abduct pupils, students and teachers from Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School.
Public outrage intensified on Monday after a viral video allegedly showed one of the abducted teachers being beheaded by the kidnappers. The victim was later identified as Michael Oyedokun, a mathematics teacher.
Amid widespread anger and grief, Nigerians have continued to call on both the Federal and Oyo State governments to intensify efforts to secure the immediate release of the abducted victims.
Governor Seyi Makinde, while addressing journalists on Monday, confirmed that seven students were abducted from Community Secondary School, while 18 pupils and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School.
He also confirmed that one person was killed during the attack.
Makinde said the state government was making efforts to secure the victims’ release and was willing to engage the abductors if dialogue would facilitate the safe return of the hostages.
“Now we can confirm conclusively that at the Community Secondary School, about seven students were abducted, while at the First Baptist Primary and Nursery School, 18 children were abducted, and about seven teachers were also involved. Unfortunately, like I reported yesterday, one of them was killed,” the governor said.
“So, whatever it is they demand, we are ready to listen to them and address the ones that we can address as a state government. But the children and their teachers must be released.
“If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to do something. We will not give in to terror. We will do everything possible to ensure that our children and their teachers return safely.”
The governor disclosed that the Commissioner of Police and other security agencies had been positioned to coordinate rescue operations and information management, although operational details could not yet be disclosed because of the sensitive nature of the mission.
President Bola Tinubu, in his reaction, described the attack as barbaric and expressed sadness over the reported killing of one of the hostages.
In a statement issued on Monday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President sympathised with the Oyo State Government and the families of the victims.
Tinubu disclosed that the Inspector-General of Police, acting on his directive, was leading a technology-driven rescue operation involving tactical units and the Intelligence Response Team.
“The bandits and all their local collaborators will be fished out and made to face the full wrath of the law,” the President stated.
He also renewed his call for the establishment of state police, urging the National Assembly to accelerate the passage of legislation creating state policing structures to address insecurity in underserved areas.
Meanwhile, the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in charge of Zone XI, Fred Emuobo, has relocated the operational headquarters of the command to Ogbomoso to coordinate rescue operations.
Confirming the development, the Zone XI Police Public Relations Officer, Ade Ogunyemi, said the police were working with other security agencies to ensure the safe rescue of the victims.
“The operational base of Zone XI has shifted to Ogbomoso, where the rescue mission is being coordinated,” he said.
“The AIG is concerned about the abducted teachers and students, and he promised that the police will do everything possible to make sure that those people are rescued.”
The Oyo State Police Command also confirmed the arrest of six suspects linked to the attack.
Police spokesperson, Olayinka Ayanlade, said the suspects were assisting investigators.
“We have six suspects in custody, and they are assisting the investigation,” he stated.
On the viral video allegedly showing a beheaded teacher, the police said the footage was undergoing forensic examination to determine its authenticity and assist ongoing investigations.
Security sources disclosed that the suspects, believed to be informants to the kidnappers, were arrested by a joint security team comprising the Nigerian Army, Police, Amotekun Corps, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and Agro-Rangers.
The suspects were reportedly tracked through telephone conversations allegedly held with the abductors while directing them through forest routes in the area.
A security source disclosed that the suspects were currently being interrogated at the State Criminal Investigation Department in Ibadan.
“The informants of those people were tracked through their telephone numbers because they were communicating with the bandits,” the source said.
“The bandits are now using the children as human shields, making operations more difficult. We also learnt that they deployed improvised explosive devices against security agents.”
Meanwhile, teachers in public schools across Oriire Local Government staged a peaceful protest on Monday, demanding the immediate rescue of their colleagues and students.
Schools in the area were largely deserted as fearful residents stayed away.
The protesting teachers carried placards and sang solidarity songs while calling on security agencies to intensify rescue efforts.
A teacher in one of the affected schools said only a few students and teachers showed up on Monday.
“We couldn’t even go into the school premises; we stayed at the gate because of fear,” the teacher said.
In another viral video, the abducted principal of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele, Mrs Alamu, appealed to the Federal Government, Governor Makinde, the Christian Association of Nigeria and Nigerians to intervene for their rescue.
Another abducted teacher, identified as Dahunsi Temitope Mary, also appealed for urgent intervention.
“We are all here; we need help from the Federal Government and State Government, from both the church and the community so that these people will release us,” she pleaded.
Traditional rulers, religious bodies and political groups also condemned the attack.
The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, described the abduction as heartbreaking and unacceptable, calling for intensified rescue operations and stronger security around schools and rural communities.
Similarly, the Oluwo of Iwo, Oba Abdulrasheed Akanbi, urged President Tinubu to empower traditional rulers with security votes and logistics support to combat insecurity across Yorubaland.
The Christian Association of Nigeria described the incident as a “national disgrace” and warned that organised criminal violence was spreading dangerously into the South-West.
“The invasion of schools by armed criminals in broad daylight reflects a horrifying collapse of security,” CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, said in a statement.
“Nigerians are exhausted by condolences without consequences and promises without protection.”
The association called on security agencies and governments at all levels to deploy all available resources to secure the unconditional release of the abducted victims.
Also reacting, the senator representing Oyo Central, Yunus Akintunde, APC governorship aspirant Ololade Bakare, and legal practitioner Oladotun Hassan described the attack as barbaric and unacceptable.
The Afenifere National Youth Council also condemned the attack, warning that insecurity was becoming increasingly rampant in the South-West.
The group called for urgent and coordinated action from governments and security agencies to stem the rising wave of kidnappings in the region.
Meanwhile, Makinde disclosed that the surveillance aircraft procured by the state government for N7.7bn in July 2025 had arrived in Nigeria and were currently being reassembled at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos.
According to him, Chinese engineers handling the installation arrived in the country a few days ago and are expected to complete testing within two weeks.
He said the aircraft would become operational before the end of June as part of efforts to strengthen surveillance along the Oyo-Kwara border and the international border with the Republic of Benin.
“We were proactive. We wanted to improve our security capability and border monitoring,” the governor said.
“Yes, this incident is a blot, but we are doing everything within our power to ensure that normalcy returns and that the children and teachers are rescued safely.”
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover