EFCC arrests convicted ex-power minister after 75-year jail sentence

Former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, days after he was convicted and sentenced to 75 years imprisonment over the diversion of funds linked to the Mambilla and Zungeru hydropower projects.

Chairman of the EFCC, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed this yesterday, while briefing journalists at the Commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

According to him, Mamman was arrested at 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna State alongside two persons allegedly shielding him from arrest.

It would be recalled that a Federal High Court in Abuja had last week sentenced the former minister in absentia after convicting him on 12 counts bordering on money laundering and fraud involving N33.8 billion.

Olukoyede said the property where he was hiding is also under investigation.

He described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s resolve to intensify the anti-corruption war, warning that public officials involved in the diversion of government resources would eventually face justice.

“This is a test of the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption and to assure Nigerians that anyone who has dipped into national resources will not go unpunished.”

“The eagle eye of the EFCC will always catch up with you wherever you are hiding,” Olukoyede stated.

The EFCC boss said the agency had filed charges against the former minister in January 2025 over the alleged diversion of more than N33 billion meant for the Mambilla and Zungeru power projects.

He said that after about 14 months of prosecution, the Commission secured a conviction on all 12 counts.

Olukoyede noted that sentencing was initially delayed because the defendant failed to appear in court, resulting in a judgment being delivered in absentia on May 13.

He said that following the conviction, the Commission launched intelligence, surveillance, and recovery operations to track the former minister across the country.

Olukoyede said that arrangements were ongoing to transfer him from the EFCC custody to a correctional facility in compliance with the court order.

Also, Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo, said: “The process of transmitting him to the correctional centre is ongoing.

“The commission has not just arrested him; it has ensured the sentence is being executed.”

Olukoyede also revealed that additional property linked to Mamman had been uncovered, adding that the Commission would expand its probe to trace more assets allegedly acquired with proceeds of the crime.

He added that the anti-graft agency was reviewing its procedures in handling high-profile corruption cases, including placing suspects under closer surveillance to prevent them from fleeing while standing trial.

Join Our Channels