Eight people, including a police inspector, have been confirmed dead following a suspected Boko Haram attack on Gaya community in Hong Local Council of Adamawa State.
The attackers reportedly stormed the community on Monday night, setting two houses ablaze before fleeing.
An eyewitness, Abdu Ahmadu, and the Chairman of Hong Local Council, Aliyu Sa’ad, confirmed the attack, saying eight people were killed during the incident.
Sa’ad said the victims included seven civilians and a police inspector.
Following the attack, the military, police, local hunters and other security agencies were deployed to the community to track down the attackers and restore calm.
The chairman expressed concern over the delay in the commencement of operations at the proposed military barracks in Garaha, located near one of the major routes used by insurgents to access the Sambisa Forest.
He said the presence of security personnel in the area would help strengthen efforts to protect communities and prevent further attacks.
The Adamawa State Police Command also confirmed the incident yesterday.
The spokesperson, Suleiman Nguroje, said in a statement: “The report we received from the area is that on Monday night, dead bodies of five people were recovered, four civilians and an inspector of police, after the attackers left,” Nguroje said.
He explained that troops, police officers, vigilantes and hunters had been deployed to search for the attackers.
Nguroje said the command was awaiting further reports from the area and would provide additional details as more information became available.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover