Governor Agbu Kefas of Taraba state has announced an increase in the ongoing youth seed grant from N500 million to N1 billion, as part of his administration’s efforts to empower young people and create sustainable economic opportunities across the state.
Governor Kefas made the announcement on Thursday, while disbursing the first phase of the N500 million grant to no fewer than 300 youths in the state.
He said the next phase of the empowerment programme, scheduled to commence in October, would be increased to N1 billion.
“The next batch is going to be N1 billion,” the governor declared, assuring young people in the state of his administration’s continued commitment to their development.
Kefas said he remained focused on improving the lives of residents, particularly young people, and would not be distracted from pursuing his development agenda.
“I am somebody that can never be distracted. Once I believe in something, I stand on it. I cannot solve all the problems of Taraba State in eight years, but I will do all I can to ensure security and empower young people,” he said.
The governor urged beneficiaries of government opportunities to make responsible use of them, stressing that he was committed to fulfilling promises made to the people.
“When you are given an opportunity to serve, serve very well. I am a realist, not a politician, because I will always do what I say,” he said.
Kefas noted that his commitment to youth empowerment predated his emergence as governor, saying he had previously supported young people through payment of school fees and scholarships.
He said the sight of young people struggling to find meaningful opportunities motivated his administration’s empowerment programmes.
“I don’t like the way I see young people struggling, hence the need for me to empower them. We will make sure that our young people have a space in life. I can’t do everything, but the most important thing is to save the lives of young people,” he said.
He added that his administration would continue to support and reposition youths to enable them discover their place in society.
“I will support our youths and encourage them to stand. I am repositioning people to find their place in life. The reason why you see me as governor is not for myself but for the people,” he said.
Also speaking, the pioneer chairman of the Taraba Youth Development Agency, Gara Nunga, commended governor Kefas for what he described as consistent support for young people in the state.
Nunga said investment in youths remained an investment in the future of Taraba State, urging beneficiaries to utilise the funds judiciously to expand their businesses and improve their livelihoods.
He also called on the North-East Development Agency to establish pilot skills development programmes, particularly in agriculture, in Taraba State and partner with the Youth Development Agency to strengthen youth-focused initiatives.
Similarly, the Special Adviser to Governor Kefas on Digital Economy, Justine Tyopuusu, showcased locally made products and appealed to the state government to establish an Adire industry to promote local production, skills acquisition and employment.
Earlier, the Minister of Youth Development, Ayodele Olawande, commended Governor Kefas for investing in the youths, assuring that the Federal Government would continue to partner with the state government to create opportunities and improve the welfare of young Nigerians.
He said such collaboration was necessary to bring the desired relief and smiles to the faces of youths across Taraba State and the country at large.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover