Prevention and alternative treatment of kidney stones
More often than not, kidney stones are a disease of our diet and the fluids that we drink. The basis for prevention of kidney stones, as expected would be dietery and lifestyle changes. Struvite stone is a type of kidney stone that occurs as a result of infection of the kidney and to prevent this kind of stone, the kidneys have to be kept infection-free as much as possible. The urine should be physically examined often to make sure it is not cloudy with sediments in it. Culture of the urine will also help to rule out infection in the kdney.
For other kinds of stones, the following preventive measures will help:
1. Diet changes: Calcium oxalate, by far the commonnest type of stones, can be prevented by avoiding foods that are rich in oxalate. Such foods are spinach, celery, asparagus, strawberries, grapes, beans, chocolate etc. Salt intake should also be reduced to the barest minimum so as to lower the incidence of the calcium based stones.
To prevent uric acid stones, you have to avoid foods that are rich in urates such as organ meat (liver, kidney), fish such as sardines and skin of chicken.
Eat leafy green vegetables rich in magnesium, chlorophyll and fiber. You may also want to eat whole grains, nuts, oats, legumes (beans), brown rice, barley and bananas. The traditional overcooked and dead food that we eat along with the refined, sweetened and carbonated beverages should be avoided.
2. Water: The risk of kidney stone formation is higher in a state of dehydration and this state is reflected in the colour and volume of the urine. When the urine is yellow to dark yellow in colour, it indicates a state of dehydration. A light yellow and an almost colourless urine signifies an appropriate level of hydration. To avoid dehydration and a higher risk of kidney stones, one has to drink up to 10 glasses of water. In most cases, to avoid a recurrence of kidney stones, one has to double the daily water requirement. Alkaline water is preferable and as usual Lasena Artesian Natural Mineral Water is my recommendation.
Natural kidney cleansers and kidney stone remedies
1. Horsetail: This is a common weed which possesses diuretic properties. It increases urine output and helps to flush the kidney and renal system. It is also a natural remedy for kidney stones. It can be brewed and drunk as tea about 3 times in a day.
2. Dandelion Root is a natural diuretic which also helps in waste elimination, it is also a kidney tonic.
3. Marshmallow Root is a soothing herb which calms the tissues of the kidney. It is a mild diuretic and increases the urine output.
4. Celery Rod (and the seeds) is a natural diuretic. It helps to eliminate toxins as it increases the urine output. Celery root is also a tonic for the kidney tissues.
5. Parsley is both an aromatic and a diuretic. It eliminates wastes and toxins from the urinary tract.
6. Golden rod tones up the tissues of the kidneys and urinary tract and detoxifies the kidneys.
7. Uva Ursi is also known as bearberry. It is used for the treatment of urinary tract infection. It combines well with dandelion root for the treatment of recurrent urinary tract infection. It is highly indicated for the management of struvite stones.
8. Phyllantus Niruri is otherwise known as chancra piedra (stone breaker). It is a tropical plant which is particularly useful in supporting the health of the liver, bladder and kidneys. Like one of the names indicates, it dissolves stones in any of those organs mentioned.
9. Kidney beans is shaped like the kidney, it has been found to be effective against the pain associated with kidney stones. When the pod is boiled for 4-6 hours and drunk after cooling through out the day, the pain disappears fast.
10. Specific vegetables and fruits that support the kidneys are spinach, celery, kale, cucumber, water melon, carrots, lettuce, orange, lemon, apples, pine apples, pears and peaches.
No Comments yet