Boy Electrocuted By Bouncing Castle Meant For Entertainment Amid Lockdown
11-year-old schoolboy was electrocuted and killed by a bouncy castle his parents had hired to keep him and his sister entertained during the coronavirus lockdown.
Paul and Rhodine de Beer feared son Pedre, 11, and daughter Anele, 5, would be bored due to the lockdown, so they splashed out on the inflatable for them and their friends to play on according to The Daily Mail.
Pedre tripped over the generator as he was being chased by a friend and started ‘shaking violently’ in front of his mother.
The mother, Rhodine, from Heidelberg in Gauteng Province, South Africa, tried to pull Pedre off the motor but suffered an electric shock from the 240-volt charge.
Paramedics raced to the scene where the distraught parents fought to revive their son but despite an hour-long battle, the emergency services declared the schoolboy dead.
The castle has been deflated and is being examined by experts to see what went wrong.
A South African Police Service spokesman said it was their understanding that the de Beer family had hired the bouncy castle for three weeks as a treat for their children.
South Africa’s three-week coronavirus shut down has just been extended to five weeks by President Cyril Ramaphosa with total deaths due to COVID-19 at just 27 so far.
The owners of the bouncy castle refused to comment on the electrocution and death of the little boy until after the investigation into their equipment is completed.