Friday, 21st January 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Dwayne Johnson Has No Plans To Return To ‘Fast & Furious’

By Oreoritse Tariemi
30 December 2021   |   9:08 am
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has revealed that he would not be returning to the Fast & Furious set despite pleas from co-star Vin Diesel. The actor addressing an Instagram post made by Vin Diesel in November pleading with him to return to the franchise, said Diesel's move is "an example of his manipulation." "I was very surprised…

FILE PHOTO: Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson poses upon arriving for the Time 100 Gala celebrating Time magazine’s 100 most influential people in the world in New York, U.S., April 23, 2019. REUTERS/Andrew Kelly/File Photo

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has revealed that he would not be returning to the Fast & Furious set despite pleas from co-star Vin Diesel.

The actor addressing an Instagram post made by Vin Diesel in November pleading with him to return to the franchise, said Diesel’s move is “an example of his manipulation.”

“I was very surprised by Vin’s recent post. This past June, when Vin and I actually connected not over social media, I told him directly — and privately — that I would not be returning to the franchise. I was firm yet cordial with my words and said that I would always be supportive of the cast and always root for the franchise to be successful, but that there was no chance I would return. I privately spoke with my partners at Universal as well, all of whom were very supportive as they understand the problem,” Johnson told CNN.

“I didn’t like that he brought up his children in the post, as well as Paul Walker’s death. Leave them out of it.”

“We had spoken months ago about this and came to a clear understanding. My goal all along was to end my amazing journey with this incredible Fast & Furious franchise with gratitude and grace.”

“It’s unfortunate that this public dialogue has muddied the waters. Regardless, I’m confident in the Fast universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience, and I truly wish my former costars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter.”

In an interview with Men’s Health in July, Diesel revealed that he had used “tough love” on set when it came to Johnson portraying his Fast & Furious character, federal agent Luke Hobbs. 

“I could give a lot of tough love. Not Felliniesque, but I would do anything I’d have to do in order to get performances in anything I’m producing,” he said. 

However, due to friction on set between Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel, Johnson did not appear on F9 announcing publicly that he wouldn’t return for the final two Fast films.

Johnson joined the franchise with his role as Luke Hobbs in 2011’s Fast Five, going on to feature in the sixth, seventh, and eighth movies. Since then, his character has branched off in his own spinoff with The Rock, co-starring with Jason Statham in Hobbs & Shaw.

F10 will begin shooting in January 2022, and Vin Diesel has suggested that it will be shot alongside F11, the final film in the franchise.