Make Filling Banana Oat Bars With Only Four Ingredients
Oats are a superfood for good reason. The grain contains a healthy dose of manganese which helps in bone formation, vitamin B1 and magnesium. It helps regulate cholesterol and blood sugar, keeping you full and satisfied for longer periods of time. The soluble fibre in oats also contains properties that boost cardiovascular health, curb weight gain, prevent type 2 diabetes and bolster the immune system. Oats are fun to cook with, providing practically limitless possibilities for recipes throughout the day.
Bananas are equally amazing. They can turn into creamy, delicious ice cream and do wonders in baked goods. In this yummy snack, they replace sugar, eggs and fat.
The bars can be whipped up in a few minutes for breakfast, snacks or dessert. For an extra kick, you can top it up with honey yoghurt glaze.
*Recipe makes 9 squares.
For the banana oat bars
- 2 cups oats
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup chopped dried dates
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or almonds)
- Olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Grated nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
For the honey yoghurt glaze (optional):
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 tsps whole milk
- Arrange a rack in the middle of an oven. Preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly coat a 9×9-inch square baking dish with olive oil or butter.
- Peel the bananas and mash their flesh thoroughly in a medium bowl until no large chunks remain.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the oats and stir them in.
- Stir in the dates, nuts and salt.
- Transfer to the baking dish and pat into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the edges just begin to crisp up. Place the baking pan on a rack to cool.
- For the glaze, whisk yoghurt, honey, sugar and milk together in a small bowl.
- When the pan is cool, cut up into squares and drizzle with the glaze.
- Snack immediately or store unglazed bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days and glazed bars in the refrigerator.