Mascara 101: How to Find and Wear the Right Mascara
As I find false lashes extremely difficult to wear, mascaras are a very big deal for me. My lashes are curly and short so when I go shopping, I look for a mascara that can give me volume and length. People have different types of lashes and want different results when they wear makeup. But with all the various types of mascaras out there, how do you know which one to buy?
Here is the thing – all mascara formulas are the same. Some might be coloured darker, and some are waterproof etc. but the main difference is all in the brush. So, I put together a handy brush guide on what to observe for when buying mascara:
- If you are looking for curl: A mascara with a curved brush will lift lashes while it coats them in formula, allowing them to set with a slight curl.
- If you are looking for volume: A mascara with densely packed bristles will allow the brush to coat your lashes, making them appear thicker and fuller.
- If you are looking for length: A mascara that has a brush with short, sparse bristles will work. The shorter the brush, the less it will let lashes stick together.
- If you are looking for a more natural look: A mascara with a comb-type brush is the best for natural-looking lashes as they both coat lashes and comb out clumps.
You found the perfect mascara. How do you wear it?
- Position yourself comfortably in front of a mirror. If you feel unsteady, try leaning your dominant elbow on a firm surface.
- Curl your lashes with a lash curler. Place the curler at the base of your upper lashes, close the curler and hold it in place for a few seconds.
- Starting at the roots, apply the mascara with a wriggling motion. This ensures that there is more volume at the roots, and your lashes do not feel weighed down.
- If your lashes stick together, use a lash comb to comb them out. Do this before the mascara dries or it will be hard to separate.
- Repeat the mascara application by applying another coat. This adds more volume to your lashes.
Deola Adebiyi is the founder of OmogeMuRa, a fashion and beauty blog based in Lagos, Nigeria. On OmogeMuRa, she shares her favorite lookbooks from Nigerian designers, beauty reviews, makeup tutorials and serves up outfit inspiration by showcasing her personal style. Follow her on social media –
Twitter – @d3ola
Instagram – @d3ola
Youtube – www.Youtube.com/OmogeMuRa