Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Abducted FUNAAB student tortured, says family



The family of a 400-level student of Aquaculture and Fisheries Management, Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Ogun State, Olayinka Toyinbo, who regained freedom from his abductors on Monday, said the victim was tortured by the kidnappers.
Toyinbo who breathed fresh air on Monday night, 48 hours after he was abducted by unknown gunmen, was reportedly abducted in a private farm in Abule Itoko, Odeda Local Council, which is about 25 minutes drive from the institution, around 8 a.m. on Saturday.
Though he was reportedly released by his abductors unharmed, safe and sound, details of his release, The Guardian learnt are still sketchy and subject to the purview of Ogun State Police Command.

A friend of the victim, who witnessed the scene, said Toyinbo was kidnapped at the private farm, where he had been living and working as a practising livestock farmer for the past three years, to sustain himself as a self-sponsored indigent student of the university.
On Sunday morning, the kidnappers contacted the wife of the farmer, demanding N50m ransom from each of their victims.
Though the Head, Directorate of Public Relations of the institution, Kola Adepoju, on Sunday, via a statement said the institution’s management had reported the abduction at the state police headquarters, while working with the command to ensure the safety and release of the abducted student.
The students on Monday, carried out a protest demanding speedy release of the victim.
When his uncle, Mr. John Oyeleye, paid a thank you visit to the institution on Tuesday, he said the family is making plans to take him for treatment.
He also revealed that the family was thrown into shock and pandemonium after the abductors contacted them through one of his non-internet compliance phones.
Oyeleye who addressed the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Kolawole Salako, members of his management team and the FUNAAB students’ leadership in the university, noted that the victim’s father could not come due to old age, but sends his greetings and appreciation to the university management and the students at large.
He described the university, students and security operatives’ swift outcry and action as a good and encouraging one which went a long way in the release of their son.
Oyeleye said the family was happy now and were heading to the police station to take custody of Nathaniel for treatment in an undisclosed hospital.
In a statement yesterday, the Head of Directorate of Public Relations, FUNAAB Adepoju, said the family representative, Oyeleye, strolled into the University’s Students Union Building where the Vice -Chancellor, Prof. Kolawole Salako was incidentally having an interactive meeting with all the executives of  the students bodies on campus at union, colleges and associations levels to appraise the release of their colleagues and other issues bordering on the welfare of students.
He disclosed that Toyinbo is hale and hearty but was quick to lament that “he was tortured.”

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet