Thursday, 8th December 2022
<To guardian.ng
Search
Breaking News:

Borno orders Maiduguri residents to relocate over imminent flooding

By Njadvara Musa (Maiduguri) and Bala Yahaya (Minna)
12 September 2022   |   3:08 am
Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has ordered residents of Maiduguri metropolis to relocate to safer areas, especially the uplands, over imminent flooding this week.

[FILES] Flooding

Niger to demolish houses on waterways to avert disaster

Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has ordered residents of Maiduguri metropolis to relocate to safer areas, especially the uplands, over imminent flooding this week.

The affected residents, it noted, include those living on River Ngadda banks and plains, comprising over a dozen communities in the state capital.

Issuing the advisory at the weekend in Maiduguri, the agency’s Director General, Hajiya Yabawa Kolo, stated: “There would be an imminent release of excess water from Alau Dam by the Chad Basin Development Authority CBDA),” explaining that the move is to prevent the facility from collapsing.

The city was flooded on September 22, 1994, claiming several lives and property, including Borno Radio Television (BRTV), markets and houses built on the river banks and tributaries.

She said SEMA had been officially communicated by CBDA on the exercise, observing that River Ngadda was full due to the torrential rains in the last month.

Kolo regretted the loss of 15 lives and the destruction of farmlands on the coast.

In a related development, the Niger government is to demolish homes built on waterways to avert the disaster in the state.

Governor Abubakar Sani Bello made the announcement at the weekend when he paid a sympathy visit to flood victims in Kontagora Local Council of the state.

He condoled with the Emir of Kontagora, Alhaji Muhammad Barau Mu’azu II and those that suffered the tragedy.

The governor implored the people to be conscious of their environment as the rains persist.

He had earlier donated relief materials to the monarch for onward distribution to the affected victims, adding that the gesture was to ameliorate their sufferings.

Bello, subsequently, directed the Ministry of Environment to collaborate with relevant ministries and the local council to destroy all structures built on waterways to check future occurrences.

Commissioner for Environment, Daniel Habila Galadima, said the Ministries of Environment, Water Resources and Works as well as Kontagora Emirate and council would speedily implement the directive.

The emir, on his part, lauded the governor for his visit and donation, assuring him of even distribution of the items.

The council chairman, Alhaji Shehu Pawa, confirmed that 237 people were affected by the flood, with two deaths recorded.

In this article