Tuesday, 27th September 2022
<To guardian.ng
Breaking News:

Church keeper ties, tortures 11-year -old boy in Rivers 

By Ann Godwin, Port Harcourt
12 October 2021   |   4:04 am
An 11 -year old boy, Master Goodluck Jaja, has been subjected to severe torture and ill treatment by a church keeper in PortHarcourt.

The victim

Activists warn as Police wade into assault on Rivers female Councillor
An 11 -year old boy, Master Goodluck Jaja, has been subjected to severe torture and ill treatment by a church keeper in PortHarcourt.
The incident happened at 108 Abel Jumbo Street Mile 2 Diobu Port Harcourt.
The Guardian gathered that the boy and his grandmother reside in the church premises for lack of accommodation. 
The culprit simply known as Elijah allegedly tied the boy’s legs and hands and used a belt to flog him after which he rubbed pepper on him. 

The boy was however rescued by the National Coordinator of the Centre for Basic Rights Protection and Accountability Campaign, Prince Wiro.
Wiro told The Guardian yesterday that the church keeper was still at large,  while the boy has been taken to the police clinic along forces avenue, old GRA PortHarcourt for treatment.
The little boy, he said, is responding to treatment. 

MEANWHILE, International Federation of female lawyers (FIDA) and the National Association of Women of Journalists (NAWOJ), and a lawyer, Mr. Godspower Ebule, have urged Rivers State Police command not to compromise the case, involving Mrs. Cynthia Nwala, the leader of Etche Legislative Assembly, in Rivers State, who was allegedly dehumanised by the Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the Council, Prince Chinedu Onyeche.    

The activists made the call following the sudden release of the suspect from the police cell. 
Operatives of the State Police Command had at the weekend arrested the CSO for allegedly assaulting the female legislative leader, tearing her clothes on October 4 with the help of thugs for allegedly keeping the assembly mace in her car.  
However, The Guardian gathered that Onyeche was allegedly released the same day of his arrest without any tangible action.
His arrest followed the directives of the State Commissioner of Police,  Eboka Friday, The Guardian learnt. 
The development was said to have grieved FIDA and NAWOJ as they staged a  peaceful protest to the State House of Assembly last week, calling for justice and an end to violence against women and the girl child.
But Ebule, her lawyer, has urged the Police to expeditiously handle the matter and prosecute all those involved in the dastardly act against the female lawmaker without compromise.

He said: “ There is a deliberate attempt by some persons within the Rivers State Police Command to scuttle and compromise an independent investigation into this case. ‘” We are calling on the Police to be aware that any attempt to sweep this case under the carpet will be vehemently resisted by all legal means necessary.”
Expressing sadness at the increasing violence against women and girls, the counsel said the immediate, long-term physical and mental consequences could be devastating and culminating in the death of victims.
He also called on “Civil Society Organisations, (CSO), Non-Governmental Organisations (NGO) and the Media to hold the Police accountable, ensure that women and girls are protected and that perpetrators of violence against women face the consequences of their actions.
Similarly, a gender activist, Mrs. Anita Ogonna, has condemned the act, saying that women groups in PortHarcourt are determined to ensure that justice is done on the case to serve as deterrent to others.

In this article