A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Wednesday, rejected applications by some political parties and interested politicians seeking to be joined in the suit seeking the deregistration of Accord Party (AP) African Democratic Congress (ADC) and three others over alleged constitutional breaches.
Justice Peter Lifu dismissed the joinder’s applications filed by Governor Ademola Adeleke of Osun State, Oluwafemi Abayomi Adebambi , the Accord Party Guber Candidate for Ekiti State and Hon. Sani Yakubu Noma of the ADC, holding that their political parties were already defendants in the suit.
The court therefore held that their individual joinder in the suit would be unnecessary.
Justice Lifu also refused an application seeking a stay of proceedings, ruling that the matter has proceeded to an advanced stage , and halting the case at this stage would create hardship to other litigants in the suit, particularly as political parties were expected to submit names of candidates ahead of forthcoming elections.
“It is my considered view not to grant the stay except otherwise decided by the upper court,” Justice Lifu said, adding that the issues raised by the applicants lacked merit and were accordingly dismissed.
The court subsequently reserved judgment in the substantive suit for June 5 .
The suit, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2637/2026, was instituted by the Incorporated Trustees of the National Forum of Former Legislators against the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and several political parties, including the ADC, Action Alliance, Action Peoples Party (APP), Accord Party and Zenith Labour Party.
During proceedings, counsel to the plaintiff, Incorporated Trustees of the National Forum of Former Legislators, Yakubu Abdullahi Ruba, SAN, argued that the affected political parties failed to meet constitutional requirements relating to electoral spread and performance.
Ruba relied on Supreme Court authorities, contending that political parties were required to secure at least 25 per cent of votes in prescribed elections to remain relevant under the law. He urged the court to order the deregistration of the parties, insisting that none of the defendants had effectively countered the argument.
Representing the Attorney-General of the Federation, A. Abdulrahman told the court that the AGF possessed constitutional powers to support actions aimed at ensuring compliance with the Constitution.
He urged the court to determine whether the parties listed as 3rd to 7th defendants had breached constitutional provisions.
Counsel representing the affected political parties, however, urged the court to dismiss the suit with substantial costs.
The court also heard arguments from counsel to the APP, Peter Abang, who sought dismissal of the suit on the grounds that issues raised had already been argued before the Court of Appeal.
Justice Lifu, in a brief ruling, stated that the court would consider the appellate court’s decision alongside all issues canvassed by parties before delivering judgment.
At the previous sitting, defence counsel led by Musibau Adetunbi, SAN, for the Accord Party, and Shuaib Enejo Aruwa, SAN, for the ADC, had urged the court to suspend proceedings pending the determination of interlocutory appeals before the Court of Appeal.
They argued that continuing with the hearing while appeals were pending could prejudice matters already before the appellate court.
However, the plaintiff opposed the request, arguing that neither the Court of Appeal nor the Supreme Court had restrained the Federal High Court from proceeding with the matter.
Counsel to INEC, Haliru Mohammed, informed the court that the commission had already filed a counter-affidavit to the substantive suit.
Justice Lifu on Wednesday adjourned the suit to Friday June 5 for Judgment after taking argument from the parties and All parties adopted their briefs and written addresses.
Reacting after the conclusion of proceedings on Wednesday , Hon Raphael Nnanna Igbokwe Chairman Board of Trustees of Incorporated Trustees of the National Forum of Former Legislators, maintained the Suit was not targeted at any political party but aimed at expounding our electoral jurisprudence and promoting a credible political system.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover