Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the Federal Capital Territory High Court, Apo, Abuja, on Monday sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq.
Farouq, alongside Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed, is facing prosecution by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds amounting to $1.3 million and N746.7 million.
During Monday’s proceedings, prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, SAN, informed the court that the matter was scheduled for arraignment but noted that the first defendant failed to appear without any official explanation.
Jacobs recalled that the court had issued a bench warrant against Farouq on April 16, 2026, adding that the second defendant later surrendered himself to the EFCC in compliance with the court’s order. He urged the court to maintain the arrest warrant against the former minister.
The prosecution further reminded the court that Farouq’s counsel, Oladipo Okpesheyi, SAN, had previously assured the court that he would produce his client for the next sitting.
Responding, Okpesheyi told the court that the former minister was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment and was unfit to appear in court. According to him, he received a medical report on Sunday night indicating that she would require about two months to recover.
Justice Onwuegbuzie, however, expressed displeasure over what he described as repeated attempts to delay the trial. The judge warned that the court would take further action if the former minister fails to appear at the next hearing.
“I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will give a short adjournment and you will bring her, even if she is in a wheelchair,” the judge said.
The court subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq remains in force and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.
Follow Us on Google News
Follow Us on Google Discover