Ebola claims 2 lives in Guinea
The Government of Guinea on Friday said two family members N’Zérékoré prefecture had died from Ebola.The government said in a statement that the deaths were recorded two days after the World Health Organisation said the region was effectively managing the virus.
It said that post mortem of the deceased who were from Koropara area revealed the presence of the hemorrhagic fever virus.Currently, there are two confirmed and three probable cases.
To this end, the health authorities have taken appropriate measures to contain the spread of the disease outside this area,’’ the statement said.
WHO had said that all original chains of transmission of the epidemic had been halted, but that small flare-ups were anticipated due to virus persistence in the fluids and tissues of some survivors.
While the risk is declining as the virus clears from survivors, it still necessitates strong surveillance and response capacity,’’ the organisation said.
The Ebola outbreak in West Africa, which started in Guinea in December, 2013, was the largest in history, spreading to Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria.
It also reached Europe and the U.S., where isolated cases of the disease were reported.According to WHO’s latest figures, over 11,300 people have died since the outbreak started, while 28,500 have been infected.
However, Sierra Leone was declared free of Ebola transmission on Nov. 7, 2014; Guinea, Dec. 29, 2014 and Liberia, Jan. 14, 2015.
Report says Ebola, which was discovered in 1976 and is passed on through contact with blood and other body fluids, causes massive hemorrhaging and has a fatality rate of up to 90 per cent if left untreated. (dpa/NAN)
No comments yet