Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Fire guts Katsina Assembly chamber


fire PHOTO: shutterstock

The Katsina State House of Assembly chamber, where lawmakers sit and deliberate on bills, has been gutted by fire, and property worth several millions of naira destroyed.

It was learned the fire started on Wednesday morning when the facility was still under lock and key.


Workers of the assembly were said to have opened the chamber for cleaning when they discovered debris of the razed facility.

Just two months ago, the chamber was renovated to meet international standards.

Governor Aminu Masari, who visited the assembly yesterday, described the incident as unfortunate.

Speaking with newsmen at the assembly complex, the Deputy Whip of the House, Salisu Rimaye, said no one had the idea of the cause of the fire.


Rimaye, who represents Kankia Constituency, said the Clerk of the House had instructed a worker to clean the chamber, but “immediately he opened the chamber, he saw fire all over the place.”

He said: “We don’t know the real cause of the fire in our chamber, but our engineers are to come and check the extent of damage and the cause of the fire. From there, we will know what to do next.”

The governor and some heads of security operatives in the state were at the complex to sympathise with the house over the incident, he added.

Rimaye, however, called on Katsina residents to always switch off all electrical appliances whenever they would be away from homes or offices, to avoid fire outbreaks.

The fire incident came few weeks after a substantial part of the Katsina Central Market was engulfed in flames, with properties worth billions of naira lost in the fire.


Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet