The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Fire victims count losses, seek government’s support


Residents of No. 56, Oshodi Road are still counting their losses after a Sunday midnight fire razed the upper section of the one storey building.

A resident, Saheed Durojaiye, yesterday while appealing for the local and state governments to come to their aid, told The Guardian that a candle was kept on a refrigerator that caused the fire on Sunday night. “The candle fell on the bed and began to spread unknowingly to most of the residents who were asleep.
“By the time residents were aware of the fire, it was too late. Everybody had to rush out for their lives without rescuing a pin from the inferno. The fire consumed many of our belongings. The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) arrived at the scene but could not quench the fire. It was when they returned the second time that they were able to stop the fire.


“A resident lost his HND certificate, another lost N400,000 that he borrowed from a microfinance bank and yet another resident lost N300,000 he was to use to stock his business for the new year the next day. Only one resident was able to carry his mattress and a few clothes. Sadly, the properties that were later rescued from the fire were stolen by hoodlums. The properties that were not burnt downstairs were also looted,” he lamented.

Meanwhile, the Oshodi-Isolo local government authority has commiserated with victims of the fire and prayed God to replenish their lost valuables. This was the message delivered to the victims by the vice chairman of the council, Daisi Oso, on behalf of the chairman, Idris Bolaji Ariyoh, during the visit of local government officials to the burnt house.

Some of the victims appealed to the local government authority to assist them in starting a new life in getting new accommodation as state officials had red taped the building. Responding, Daisi Oso thanked God that no life was lost in the inferno but assured them the local government would get back to them on their request after he submits his report. He advised the victims to stay away from the building till final test is done by the appropriate authority to ascertain its suitability for human habitation.

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet