Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

Generating set fumes kill couple in Niger


The police in Niger State yesterday confirmed the death of a couple in Maitunbi area of Minna from generating set fume. DSP Mohammed Abubakar, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the incident occurred on Monday night.

Abubakar said: “The incident occurred on Monday night, but was reported to the police on Tuesday by neighbours at 8:00a.m.”

He explained that the deceased couple, Malam Adamu Mohammed, 30 and Sumaiya Adamu, 20, got married in December 2018.
According to him, Malam Dahiru Mohammed, a brother to the late Adamu, visited the couple on Tuesday.


The PPRO said that when Dahiru knocked on the door and there was no response, he left without seeing them. “When nobody attended to Dahiru he left the house of the deceased couple,” he said.

He explained that neighbours who did not see them coming out from their apartment raised concerns and decided to break in. “When the neighbours discovered what had happened, they reported the issue to the police,” he said.

Abubakar explained that on the fateful night, the deceased couple had put on the generating set, which they recently purchased in one of their rooms that had no ventilation and slept in the next room.

“Preliminary investigations revealed that the couple died as a result of the generator fumes. They died due to lack of ventilation from the generator fumes,” the police spokesman said.

NAN gathered from family sources that the couple has since been buried according to Islamic rites.

In this article:
Niger State
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet