Generating set fumes kill couple
A couple, Imafidon Ototie and his wife, were on Monday found dead in their apartment at Ototie Street, behind Ekae Primary School, Sapele Road, in Ikpoba-Okha Local Council of Edo State. They were reportedly killed by fumes from a generating set inside their apartment.
The generating set was placed at the corridor of the deceased’s room. One of their sons, whose identity could not be ascertained at the time of filing this report, was rushed to hospital for medical care.
The couple’s bodies were discovered by one of their sons, Bright, who did not sleep at home that day. Bright said he raised the alarm when he returned home on Monday morning and discovered that his parents were yet to get up from the bed.
He said: “I have warned them to put off the generator but they didn’t listen to me. It is like a spirit told me to leave the house and I left. I came back and saw the door locked so I raised the alarm. They usually get up early for the day.”
According to eyewitnesses, the eldest son of the deceased, who noticed that his father, stepmother and younger brother have not woken up from sleep, with the door of their room still locked called for help. “That was when neighbours forced the door open and found the couple already dead, while one of his sons survived.
Their eldest daughter, Blessing, said she had warned her late parents to always put off the generating set at night and not go to bed with power generating set switched on.
Residents who thronged the scene before the deceased bodies were evacuated to the mortuary, advised Nigerians to desist from using generating sets indoors as the exhaust fumes are dangerous when inhaled. The survivor is receiving treatment in a nearby hospital.