Generating set fumes kill policewoman, son, one other in Osogbo
A yet-to-be-identified female police officer, alongside her child and mother-in-law were found dead in Oloosa-Oko compound, Oja-oba area, in Osogbo, the Osun State capital.
The woman, who was popularly known as Mummy Jumoke, had gone to bed with her children and her mother -in-law, leaving her generating set on with little or no space for ventilation.
According to state’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mrs. Folashade Odoro, the late officer and two others may have died of carbon-monoxide emission from her generating set.
She added that the other children, who were discovered to be gasping for breath when neighbours forced their way into the apartment, were quickly rushed to Obafemi Awolowo Teaching Hospital for immediate medical attention.
She said: “At about 8:50a.m, a woman Sergeant attached to police headquarters along with her mother-in-law and a child were reportedly found dead in her apartment at Oja-Oba Osogbo.
“The two other kids found in the same apartment still gasping for breath were rushed to OAU-IFE for medical attention. Carbon monoxide emission from her generating set is reasonably suspected to have been the cause of death. However, investigation is in progress.”
A neighbour to the deceased, Mr. Kayode Akande, said the woman, together with her mother-in-law and three children were the only ones occupying the three-bedroom apartment, adding that the husband, who is also a police officer, is currently serving in Ogun State and only visits his family occasionally.
“We are all surprised to wake up this morning and found the people dead. I saw the woman last on Monday, she has always been a quiet and easygoing person. One can hardly know that she is a police officer.
“I think the fumes from the generating set is responsible for her death, even the mother-in-law was still alive when we forced the door open. She later died on her way to the hospital. It is really pathetic,” he lamented.
No comments yet