Hajj 2026: National Assembly applauds NAHCON as outbound airlift of pilgrims ends

Hajj

The National Assembly has expressed satisfaction with the performance of the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) in the coordination of Nigerian pilgrims during the 2026 Hajj operations.

The commendation came after NAHCON successfully concluded the outbound airlift of pilgrims to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on Thursday, May 21, 2026, just hours before the closure of the airspace.

The airlift exercise, which began on May 3, ended with the final Max Air flight conveying pilgrims from Zamfara State, departing Gusau International Airport.

According to NAHCON, 98 outbound flights were operated within 18 days by designated carriers, including Flynas, Air Peace, and Umza Aviation, transporting about 39,000 government-sponsored pilgrims to Saudi Arabia. The figure excludes officials and other government representatives.

Nigeria was allocated a total quota of 50,000 pilgrims for the 2026 Hajj exercise, including 9,750 slots for licensed tour operators, as well as operational support personnel and statutory officials.

However, some intending pilgrims were unable to travel due to unavoidable circumstances such as death and illness after visa issuance.

A joint committee of the National Assembly, comprising senators and members of the House of Representatives, said the exercise had recorded improved coordination and service delivery compared to previous years.

The lawmakers, who were on an oversight visit to Madinah, inspected pilgrims’ accommodation and evaluated services being provided to Nigerian pilgrims.

Speaking on behalf of the committee, Senator Ali Ndume said the 2026 exercise had so far demonstrated stronger coordination, improved stakeholder synergy, and better service delivery.

He commended NAHCON’s leadership and operational teams for what he described as significant progress.

NAHCON Chairman/CEO, Ambassador Ismail Abba Yusuf, also praised the cooperation of staff, state pilgrims’ welfare boards, licensed tour operators, airline operators, security agencies, and other stakeholders for contributing to the success of the operation.

He also acknowledged the support and guidance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima in ensuring the safety and welfare of Nigerian pilgrims despite global socio-political challenges.

Yusuf urged pilgrims to comply with the laws and regulations governing Hajj operations in Saudi Arabia, warning against actions that could attract sanctions or disrupt their spiritual exercise.

He added that adequate arrangements had been made for the Masha’ir phase of the pilgrimage, noting that all operations would be closely monitored to ensure pilgrims’ comfort and safety.

Meanwhile, some Kano pilgrims who arrived in Madinah on Wednesday expressed concern over what they described as an early transfer to Makkah, saying it reduced their planned stay in the Prophet’s City and disrupted their spiritual activities.

About 1,809 Kano pilgrims, on the fourth to seventh flights, reportedly experienced delays due to rescheduling, which extended the airlift operation by 72 hours. Some flights were also diverted to Jeddah instead of Madinah, the intended entry point.

NAHCON has yet to comment on the reported concerns raised by the affected pilgrims.

Join Our Channels