The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp

How robbers invaded three petrol stations, killed policeman in Lagos


One of the three petrol stations attacked by the armed robbers.

It all played out like a scene from a movie shoot when a four-man robbery gang invaded Dapsey petrol station at lgando, an outskirts of Lagos State, killing a police officer, identified as Sergeant Akor and wounded two others.The armed bandits stormed the petrol station located at Olowonla bus stop, on Igando-lba-LASU expressway 9:00p.m. on Sunday, January 28, in a Honda saloon car.

According to one of the victims, who is an army personal (names withheld), “those bad boys stormed the petrol station in a ‘commando-style of operation in a Honda car. They targeted us where I was standing with those police officers near one of the parked petrol tankers, hitting us with the car with a view to crushing us, we fell down and I hit the floor sustaining this wound on my face and immediately they started shooting indiscriminately and one of the bullets hit my leg as I ran for cover.”

In the confusion that ensued, the wounded army officer said one of the armed police officer, who was also hit by the car, lost his rifle to the robbers but escaped with injuries.The incident, which lasted for over one hour, took place few meters away from the Igando police division headquarters and was said to have sent panic to residents, due to the sporadic gunshots from the robbers.

Narrating how Sergeant Akor was killed, another eyewitness, Mr. Frances Adeleke, who was at the scene of the crime, the late police officer had stepped out of the petrol station before the attack. On sighting the robbers, he confronted them without his gun.

His words: “As the robbers started shooting, the sergeant came back and ran straight to them and they started shooting at him but surprisingly, the bullets did not enter him and he was shouting ‘you no fit’, ‘you no fit.’”

Discouraged, the robbers seeing that their bullets could not penetrate the police officer, fled with the police rifle they had earlier confiscated, leaving their smashed car behind. But Sergeant Akor against advice by some eyewitnesses and workers of the petrol station chased after the robbers to recover the police rifle from them.

However, about half an hour later, the petrol station manager known as Tijani, now in police custody, was said to have led some staff to trail the sergeant, who was yet to return. When the search team arrived at ‘O’ Mark bus-stop, Adeleke said the sergeant’s body was found by the roadside, just a bus stop away from the crime scene.

His body and the robbers’ car have since been moved to the mortuary and Igando police division respectively, while the wounded officers are recuperating at an undisclosed hospital.

Speaking with the proprietor of the petrol station, Mr. Dupo, he confirmed that the resistance of the late police officer prevented the robbers from gaining access into his office to steal money. However, he frowned at the inability of the Igando police division to respond to their distress calls when the robbers struck.

He regretted that the robbers were not challenged by the police despite having robbed three petrol stations, including Forte Oil at Lanre bus-stop the same night and injuring a lady at Power petrol station.Efforts to confirm the incident from the Police Public Relation Officer (PPRO), Mr. Chike Oti, proved abortive as he was yet to respond to message sent to his phone as at press time last night.

In this article:
Dapsey petrol station
Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet