Ibadan: Fire destroys goods worth millions at Bola Ige market
Oyo Govt commiserates with traders
Shops and goods worth millions of naira were yesterday, destroyed by fire at the popular Bola Ige International Market, new Gbagi, Ibadan, Oyo State capital.
No life was lost in the fire, which razed six shops full of fabrics. Chairman, Bola Ige International Market, Alhaji Ganiyu Adebayo, who confirmed the incident, said the fire started at about 7:00a.m.
According to him, the fire service station at Gbagi market was alerted and they responded promptly to put it out.
He said: “I was at home when they called me that there was a fire outbreak at Rashlad and Kudus lines in the market. I was informed that a woman lit a candle in her shop early this morning and did not put it out and closed the shop.
“ The firefighters did very well, they prevented the inferno from spreading to other parts of the market.” Also, a member of Market Council of Elders, Alhaji Rasheed Oladepo, said the fire incident was not caused by electrical appliances.
According to him, eyewitnesses said the shop where the fire started from, opened as early as 7:00a.m. and the owner of the shop lit a candle for prayers and left it there till it spread out.
He advised traders against cooking food in their shops and to be careful while seeking spiritual help to avoid affecting others negatively.
Meanwhile, representatives of Oyo State Commissioner, Ministry for Trade, Industry Investment and Cooperatives, Olasunkanmi Olaleye, have visited the scene of the incident with some ministry officials to commiserate with the affected traders and see the extent of the damage. Olaleye, who was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Bunmi Babalola, thanked God that no life was lost.
He admonished traders on the need to always take measures to prevent fire outbreak and later invited market executives to a meeting today.