Close button
The Guardian
Email YouTube Facebook Instagram Twitter WhatsApp
x

Indian pharmacist dies after drinking botched coronavirus treatment

Related

An Indian pharmacist died and his boss was left hospitalised after the pair drank a chemical concoction they had developed in an effort to treat coronavirus, police said Saturday.

The men worked for a herbal medicine company and were testing their treatment — a mix of nitric oxide and sodium nitrate — at a home in southern Chennai city.

K Sivanesan, 47, died on the spot, said local police chief Ashok Kumar. 

x

His colleague Rajkumar was recovering from the poisoning. 

Kumar said Sivanesan bought the chemicals from a local market and developed the formula after conducting research on the internet.

There are no approved medicines or vaccines for treating COVID-19, triggering a global race for a new drug for the disease that has killed nearly 300,000 people.

Nearly 60,000 cases have been detected in India, which has imposed a drastic nationwide lockdown in an effort to halt the spread of the disease.

x

Receive News Alerts on Whatsapp: +2348136370421

No comments yet